1871 census report with pop. stats from prior Clare censuses

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

1871 census report with pop. stats from prior Clare censuses

Post by smcarberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

I have tried searching the archives of this Forum for any prior posting of the Parliamentary report on the 1871 census, by which detailed tables of population statistics are provided for townlands, sorted by barony, from the 1841, '51, '61, '71 censuses. Although the online version of this report seems to have quite fuzzy print, the search engine seems to reliably bring up each page on which a search word appears. You do need to use the search engine to be sure to see all the statistics applicable for any one location, since the same placename can appear in several places. For example, there is only one Moyriesk in the county but in this publication it appears on p. 20 and on p.21 because portions of it are in the Parish of Doora and in the Parish of Clooney. Likewise my family's town of Kilkishen appears on pages 14 and 18 because the townlands comprising it are listed separately.

There are some instantly apparent facts that emerge from these statistics, such as the decade in which a place lost most of its population, and also what surrounding townlands gained population while other townlands were being cleared out. This is very apparent for my family's townland of Clashduff which lost more than 75 per cent of its population with the neighboring townland of Gortadroma gaining population. It is also possible to see which places had residences torn down as a cause of population loss, and which places retained structures but lost population. It's all quantified, a chilling reminder of how very deliberate the process was. In another posting, I will provide an online publication which has personal testimony of tenants watching their neighbors became these population statistics during the famine years.

Accounts and papers of the House of Commons: Census of 1871
Vol. II Province of Munster No. 1 County of Clare
http://tiny.cc/loIag
or
http://tiny.cc/N0ueF

pdf reached via this:
http://tiny.cc/tYc7i

Moyree Commons in the Parish of Ruan appears on p. 45. On p. 99 a handy barony-level table provides statistics, like the
one for Inchiquin showing that between the censuses of 1841 and '51, one-third of its population was lost.

Sharon Carberry
Tulla Lower per '71 rpt, pt 2.jpg
Sample partial page
Tulla Lower per '71 rpt, pt 2.jpg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

murf

Re: 1871 census report with pop. stats from prior Clare censuses

Post by murf » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 pm

When the EPPI website was in full swing I managed to download summary pages from Parliamentary reports on each of the censuses 1851 through to 1891. Each of these reports had summary statistics going back to 1841, except the 1891 report which only went back to 1851. My interest was in the two parishes of Clondagad and Kilchreest, but parts of other parishes such as Kilfiddane, Clareabbey and Drumcliff were included because they happened to be on the same page.
In my case where my ancestors occupied several small townlands with only a handful of houses I found that certain useful inferences can be drawn from the stats, especially when combined with the Griffiths Valuation data.
The tables are too bulky and numerous to post here, but if anybody's interested in seeing tables for any of the above parishes I would be happy to pass them on.
Murf

dundeemayer

Re: 1871 census report with pop. stats from prior Clare censuses

Post by dundeemayer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 am

Murf,

I'd be interested in Drumcliff if it is not too much trouble.

My e-mail is dundeemayer@comcast.net

John