1911 Dublin census for Clare-born

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

1911 Dublin census for Clare-born

Post by smcarberry » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:39 am

I had some time to spend with the 1911 census that is now online, as Larry Brennan alerted us to (I think I have that right,
as it was on a list to which I no longer subscribe and only monitor from time to time). My impression is that not many Clare
folk appear that year, mostly young men and women and a few young families. However, there were young Clare men undertaking religious studies in Dublin. To get to All Hallows College, just use in the search engine this fellow: Philip Corboy. Philip was a Limerick lad but you will see other students born in Clare by reaching the page on which Philip appears. When navigating to other pages for this college, use only the odd-numbered pages since there is a form
which appears on even-numbered pages, without any personal information.

To reach a college with theology studies located in Milltown Park in south Dublin, input this name (another Limerick native): James Corboy. I found a biography describing another student who attended this college in 1912, and the college is not mentioned as having a specific name in that article either.

It is essential to use exact spellings in the search engine.

I show below a description of All Hallows.

Sharon Carberry

All Hallows College, Drumcondra, Dublin

"The college was officially opened on the Feast of All Saints Nov 1st 1842. The founder was John Hand, a visionary young priest from Oldcastle, Co.Meath. He dreamed of a missionary college, which would supply priests to the English-speaking world. He died a few years after the college opened in May 1846 but his vision perdured. The early history was full of tensions and turmoil, which gradually eased when the Irish Province of the Vincentians took over the administration of the college in 1892. The Vincentians, in partnership with lay men and women, diocesan priests, religious sisters and priests continue in an administrative role."

http://www.vincentians.ie/All_Hallows_Past_Present.htm

clare mn who were

smcarberry

Re: 1911 Dublin census for Clare-born

Post by smcarberry » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:41 am

I meant to mention that All Hallows in 1911 also had a surprising number of students from Australia.

Sharon C.