Mulvihill and Honan Families from County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

miriam scahill

Re: Mulvihill and Honan Families from County Clare

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello to all the Honans!!
There are several 'settlements' of Honans in West Clare - Maryanne & James are in Parish of Killballyowen - other families are in Killard - Doonbeg; also are in Parish of Kilmacduane (Cree & Cooraclare) with Teresa's connections near Milltown. TheGriffith Vals. on http://www.clarelibrary.ie will confirm all this.
There were/are Honans in town of Kilrush - perhaps they were some of those evicted in 1850's !!
I read some years ago that the name Honan should be Honeen and before that it was Houhaneen - (in Irish) Uahaneen - which could also translate as the name Greene - I think it was in a little magazine called 'Ireland's Own' What is in a Name.
Perhaps some member might have a copy of McLysaghts Book of Irish Names.
You are all truly 'The Old Stock'
Miriam.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Miriam,

Here's something in an online version of MacLysaght's Irish families; their names, arms, and origins, p. 35 at:

http://www.archive.org/stream/irishfami ... rch/honeen
Honeen in MacLysaght, p35.jpg
Honeen in MacLysaght, p35.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 23338 times

jph

Post by jph » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks Miriam and smcarberry, fascinating info about the origins and Gaelic versions of the Honan name. I had always been told the Irish name for Honan was O' hEoghanain--but I have heard of the other variations.

But I have another (Irish name) mystery here. Bear with me. LOL. I have been looking at the Clare Library links you mentioned. I know that my Uncle James lived in Kilcloher until his death in 1975. He had 2 children Michael and Mary Ann. They would have been school age in 1950. The closest school to them would have been the Kilbaha National school. I do know that other aunts and uncles went to that school. So it is likely that Michael and Mary Ann went there. But if you look on the list of students from the school from 1876-1970 -- it shows that after 1920 (when Ireland became the Free Republic) until 1950, there must have been a wave of nationalism that the people of West Clare changed their names back to the Gaelic versions.

see:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... lnames.htm

On that list for 1950 there is a "O hEonain, Micheal" and a "Ni Eonain, Maire" -- could these be Irish names for Honan as well? "son of Honan" and "daughter of Honan"? It sure looks like these might be my cousins!

Was this a common practice in Ireland during that time--or only in West Clare where the Irish language held on?

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: "if you look on the list of students from the school from 1876-1970 -- it shows that after 1920 (when Ireland became the Free Republic) until 1950, there must have been a wave of nationalism that the people of West Clare changed their names back to the Gaelic versions". The reality is that it probably just reflected the dedication to the Irish language of the teachers registering students for enrolment, or it may well have been a national policy to register children in the Gaelic language. When I first attended national school back in the 1950s, the nun asked me for the Irish language version of my surname - to register me on the roll book. I didn't know it of course. So she made it up. When I went home and told my father he was amazed as he had been given a different translation when he was at school.

jph

Post by jph » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 pm

That's funny!! - I think you got that exactly mcreed! Nice to have that cleared up so quickly. I just thought it was strange that the names suddenly changed on that school list.

I would have loved if they asked me for my Irish name going to school in New York--I would have made up something really good!!! lol

James

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:05 am

Thanks so much Miriam, McCarberry, Mcreed and cousin James for all the interesting information on the Honan name and to see it written in Irish- in different variations.
James, I like to think that the Irish names in the 1950's roll are our cousins Michael and Mary Anne. Seeing Mary Anne's name written as Maire was nice; that's what my Uncle John Mulvihill always called me.
Miriam, I liked your comment a lot on 'the old stock'. :)
Mary Ann

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Hello Mary Anne & James - just to prove that you are the 'Old Stock' - have a look at http://www.clarelibrary.ie - under Genealogy - lst doc. - Tithes & Applotments 1824 - (tax paid by landowners to Church of Ireland) - names like Honan, Honeen, Houneen, Hunneen and Huaneen - this last name is the nearest to what I thought I heard in school for a girl called Green - Ni h-Uahneen (the Ni which means 'of' for a girl puts letter h in front of it - possessive case).
On to Griffith Vals of 1855 - you will see Connor Honan at Kilballyowen. Also Honneen, Houneen & Howneen.
In recent years the Irish language was 'simplified' by dropping non-sounding letters.
In the early 1920's the School Roll Books were printed in Irish.
I see there is a website called http://www.loopheadclare.ie - lovely pictures of Kilballyowen.
Now Maryanne - did your Grandad have a brother called Michael ? Again on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - under FOTO - you select Murphy/Hynes Kilkee collection - and I think it is second photo - group of fishermen - there is a Mikey Mulvihill and perhaps his two sons. Also some lovely pictures of Kilkee - as your Grandad saw it.
On this photo collection there are photos of Henry Blake - a neighbour of the Honans over 100 years ago - and the last of the native Irish speakers. Name is Anrai de Blac in Irish (I think !!).
So Honans are over 200 years in West Clare. !!
Happy Easter. Miriam.

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Dear Miriam, Thank you for the additional information on the Honan's with more proof re: being part of the "Old Stock".
Regarding my Mulvihill family, as far as I know, my Grandfather (Patrick) had three siblings. Two brothers, James and John and one sister, Maryanne. I don't think there was a Michael.
By the way, I have loved looking at the Loop Head and Kilkee pictures. I'm almost sure I found my Grandfather in a Kilkee football picture recently, though his name and picture didn't match up. Right now I'm having a difficult time finding out exactly when he emigrated. I know he was in the 1901 Kilkee Census and that he married my Grandmother, Anna Honan in September 1909 in Elmira NY. The years in between are a mystery. I enjoy this detective work though. :)
Happy Easter! Mary Ann

jph

Post by jph » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Miriam - I was a little skeptical that the name "Honan" could possibly be linked with "Green" through "Huoneen" -- but through again searching through these great Clare library links -- I find you must be exactly right. :D

I found a link, in the Clare Literature Section, about the great Clare poet, "Seón Ó Huaithnín (John Huoneen, or Huonyn)" see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ithnin.htm.

This describes me exactly -- "Seón Ó Huaithnín (John Huoneen, or Huonyn) was the son of Walter Huonyn, of the townland of Derreen in the parish of Kilshanny, a few miles north of Ennistymon. A man of marvellous athletic powers, as well as a great natural ability..." "1748" He must be closely related! :D

OK this may be wishful thinking -- but I'm going to go with it. Thanks so much for your help and opening up these Clare resources.

James

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Happy Easter to MaryAnne and James/Seamus - or should that be 'Samson' ?? - : The Poet !!
Yes - it is hard to see the connection with Green/Honan - but I def. heard it in school many years ago - I didn't see it written down - so am only guessing the spelling - however Sharon found a ref. to it.
Mary Anne - there is no telling what the 'translators' wrote down for 'Mulvihill' on Ellis Island Records. I looked at a few manifests on White Star & Cunard Lines out of Queenstown. I did this by putting in an Irish Name and age to be about 18 - 22 in the years 1902 to 1906 - but only found a few people from Kilkee. I looked at 'last residence' - rather than read all the names. You can view other pages on manifest.
Now to the Griffins - to see family history of one Griffin Family who - with others - bought Scattery Island c. 1843.
Go to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - donated material - biographies - there is a book 'Inhabitants of Scattery Island' by Senan Griffin. Griffins start in 1804 - with the name Catherine included.
James - you should try to visit the Banner County in the not too distant future. A cup of tea awaits you. !!
God Bless, Miriam.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:58 pm

I am back again - sorry - author of 'Inhabitants of Scattery Island' is Senan Scanlan.
Griffin family are still involved in boats - and operate a ferry to Scattery Island from Kilrush - mostly in summer.
Miriam.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat May 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello Maryanne and James - just a follow up to my last posting - There are Graveyard Inscriptions on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Donated Material (which is on bottom right hand side of page) - open Kilballyowen Cemetery and you will see Catherine and Michael Honan Kilclogher. - no date Grave No. 336 Inscription underneath says 'John Honane died 1810 !! - so 'Old Stock' !!
I also see Susan and James Honan 1974 in Moneen Cemetery - which is north of Kilbaha.
I am still looking at Ellis Island records to see if your Grandad is shown - no luck - but one manifest for sailing from Queenstown is in Italian. !! - wrong page coming up. !! He poss. travelled sometime 1902 to 1906 or so.
God Bless, Miriam.

jph

Post by jph » Fri May 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Thank You Miriam! - for informing us of the graveyard inscriptions for Killballyowen Cemetary in Cross. And they were just downloaded to the Clare Library site a few days ago no less! You are good! :D

I have been waiting to see a listing from that cemetery. Yes Catherine and Michael are my great grandparents. I was hoping to find my great-great grandfather Connor there -- or Nicholas Honan, who was the earliest mention of a Honan from Kilcloher. But to no avail. It was VERY interesting to see "John Honane" "died 1810". I have never heard of him before (from what I've learned on this site, I guess the extra "e" on the end of the name shouldn't mean he is not a "Honan" right?)

Conner was born 1809 - died 1890 - so I guess it's possible that John Honane might be his father, or grandfather--at the very least Uncle.

As for my Griffin ancestors - I am certain that some were Shannon Pilots! Thank you for pointing me to those documents! It was amazing to read the entries about Scattery Island. There were many pilots from Kilbaha and Kilballyowen Parish! There was even a "James Honan" listed as a pilot in the 1700's.

I may take you up for the offer of tea when I visit the Banner County! But it may be a year or two. Then, a pint of Guinness will await you!

James

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Fri May 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Hello Miriam! I recently returned from a visit with my mother and all my Western NY family. My mom is enjoying all the information that I have been sending her on our County Clare ancestors. It was so nice to get back to my home this week and see your message. Thank-you so much for the information on the grave stone inscriptions. Also,according to 1920 census records of Buffalo NY, my grandfather emigrated in 1906, but I have yet to find a Patrick Mulvihill from Kilkee on any ship manifest. That's OK though, he's out there somewhere, I'm sure of that. Both he and my grandmother, Anna Honan were wonderful grandparents, it's nice to be tracking things down in their memory. Thank you again Miriam for all your help. God bless you, Mary Ann