Mulvihill and Honan Families from County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

MaryAnnHolder

Mulvihill and Honan Families from County Clare

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 am

Researching Mulvihill and Honan ancestors
I am so glad to have found this Clare County Library Forum. My grandmother, Anna Honan was born on August 31, 1882 in the Loop Head area. Her parents were Michael Honan and Catherine Griffin Honan. In 1899 she emigrated to the US where she came to live with relatives in Elmira NY. She met and married my grandfather, Patrick Mulvihill in September 1909 in Elmira. He had emigrated from the Kilkee/Kilfearagh area and no one in the family knows the year he came over, but think it may have been around 1905. His parents were James Mulvihill and Mary Burke Mulvihill. I would like to find out information about both my grandmother and my grandfather's parents and grandparents and about any siblings my grandfather might have had as well as schools they went to. As a young man, my grandfather drove a carriage for a physician. Also, my grandparents eventually settled in Buffalo NY and raised their family there. Anna died in June 1960 and Patrick died in April 1967. Thank you for any help that anyone can be. Mary Ann Holder

Paddy Casey

Re: Mulvihill and Honan Families from County Clare

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Mary Ann,

I don't know whether you have browsed/searched the Clare Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie but if not you should certainly do so. Just to give you a scent for the chase, you will see a James Mulvihil listed in the Griffiths's Valuation (ca. 1855) in Kilfearagh at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ithm12.htm

You can check out the other Griffith's listings and then you can browse the clusters of Mulvihils (and variant spellings) in the 1901 census (I know your people emigrated before 1901 but the census may give you gold-value information about the family which remained; using that data you might even be able to trace living descendants of the family in Clare who could tell you more about the US diaspora).

Paddy

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Thank you Paddy, I will check the Clare Library website more thoroughly. You have been very helpful. Mary Ann:)

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Hello Mary Ann - A bit of info on finding your Honan relations - Log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - under Genealogy and open 1901 Census - then click on ' by DED' (district elect. div.) and go down to Kilrush Union - then on No. 79/3 - Rahona -Kilclogher - your will find Michael & Catherine with 7 of their children.
You said your Grandmother went to U.S. in 1899 - yes. Ellis Island Records show Annie Honan from 'Kilclobes' - the transcribers didn't understand Irish placenames.!! The records says Annie went to her brother, Patrick - but I can't find a record for him. Print out a copy of the 1901 Census and then look at Ellis Island Records and you will see that Martin went in 1901, Michael poss in 1905 (wrong manifest coming up - Italians) - Catherine (Kate) in 1905, Margaret in 1910, John in 1912 - again wrong manifest - and Thomas in 1915. This left James - and perhaps there is one more sibling - as the 1911 Census which shows Michael a widower and had 10 children. You can see this at Census.national archives.ie - and put in Honan - change 'all counties' to CLARE' and put in RAHONA in DED - this will show Michael with John. James & Thomas.
I looked at tel. book for this area - no Honans - but many Griffin families live in the Parish.
Some months ago there was a posting by Bob Kanary re his relations in this area and this will give you info re Kilclogher being in Parish of Kilballyowen - Actually Bob's relations - who were Kenirey/Kinnery etc. were neighbours of your people.
Again log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie genealogy - at bottom right hand side see 'Parish index' and open Killballyowen and this will show photos - census & Griffith Vals. Census of 1901 will also show you Mulvehill/Mulvihill in Kilfearagh - which i sjust outside Kilkee - the Parish is also called Kilfearagh'
Miriam

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Miriam, Thank you so much for the valuable information. You have helped me more than you could know. As a child I knew all the siblings of my grandmother, Anna(Annie), and now how nice it is to know when they came to western New York. I am also anxious to check Killballyowen info to find my grandfather's family.
Mary Ann

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Hello again Mary Ann - I am glad my info was of help to you. Did you find Census form of 1911 signed by your Great Grandfather, Michael Honan. ? Your Grandmother came from Kilclogher in the parish of Killballyowen which is the last parish in West Clare - very historical area.
Some info on your Grandfather - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Census by DED and go down to Kilrush Union - Ref 89/5 -Kilfearagh you will see MARY MULVEHILL widow aged 57 with children John 26, James 24 and Maryanne aged 18. So it appears Patrick was left at this stage. I cannot find him on Ellis Island recs. - but there is a Michael Mulvehill who went to U.S. in 1896. Name is poss. mis-spelt by transcribers.
I see 3 Patrick Mulvihills born in 1871, 73 & 74 in Kilrush Reg. area - which covers West Clare - on site of Church of Latter Day Saints
To view Census form of 1911 signed by your Great Grandmother - Mary Mulvihill (diff. spelling this time) - log on to http://www.census.national archives.ie - and search for MULVIHILL Kilfearagh DED and change 'all counties' to Clare.
You will find Mary with James and Maryanne!! click on 'view census form' to see original form.
Townland of Kilfearagh has a very old graveyard and is in Parish of Kilfearagh - the Parish Priest is at St. Senan's Church, Kilkee - he would have details of bapt. records for family.
The name Mulvihill in Irish is Maoil Mhihil - which is 'Servant of Michael' !! the letter h after m gives a v sound - .
There are still Mulvihill families in Kilkee area - but I don't know if they are related.
God Bless, Miriam.

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 am

Dear Miriam, This is all so good. Thank you for this additional help. Yes, I did find the Census form of 1911 signed by my Great Grandfather, Michael Honan and also the one signed by my Great Grandmother, Mary Mulvihill. The reason my Grandfather,Patrick Mulvihill was not listed with his mother and siblings is that he had moved to work as a servant for a Dr. Patrick Hickey and was included in the Census of 'Upper Kilkee' instead of the Kilfearagh Census. Right now, I'm browsing through some of the photos on the Clare Library Foto Homepage and I'm almost sure I'm looking at my Grandfather on a Kilkee football team. Also, it was good to see the Mulvihill name in Irish and it's meaning-thank you for that information too. God bless you, Mary Ann :)

jph

Post by jph » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi cousin Mary Ann --we share the same great-grandparents Michael and Catherine Honan from Kilcloher Clare! My Grandfather was John. Most of our great aunts and uncles died before I was born-- but I do remember my grandfather John and (great) Uncle Tom - and hearing about my namesake, Uncle James, who was the only one to stay on Loophead, Clare (he lived there until passing in the early 1970's--my grandfather called me Seamus - as he called him) I also remember your grandfather, Uncle Pat Mulvihill.

I been doing some research into the family and found much of the same info as relayed here! It took me longer to get it though! But the resources and websites mentioned here are great. Amazing to see photos and census records. I do know that our great-great-grandfather was Conor Honan from Kilclogher (b. 1809-d. 1890) My favorite Uncle John did some research with the Clare Heritage Society (20 years ago) and received a nice report back confirming this. That also listed the baptismal sponsors of all of our great-aunts and uncles! I don't have it with me-but could get it from my mother back in Buffalo if you are interested in finding out Aunt Annie's godparents. Catherine Griffin Honan's father was Martin Griffin (I don't know any more than his name though)

Amazing also that Michael and Catherine and 10 children, lived in a 2-room stone house-with a thatched roof, 2 windows, a pig house, a cow house house and a chicken coop (these were described and counted in the 1911 census!) Although Michael was a farmer, he was also listed as a "shopkeeper', listed in the Guy's Directory of 1894 http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ilbaha.htm

The children walked to school at the Kilbaha National School (there are records of Michael, Martin and Katie going there.) http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... l_roll.htm

What I don't know--and I am trying to find out is--
1. If great-great grandfather Conor had any more children or siblings? Although of course the mid 1800s were a terrible time - I wonder if I should dig too deep. There was at least 2 records of Honan families from the area evicted from their farms and homes by their landlords in 1848-- which , of course happened too frequently during the Famine. http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... sure42.htm It would be good to know that these families of cousins eventually fared well.

2. Who was Conor's father?- 2 possibilities (probabilities) are a Michael (from Kilballyowen) and a Nicholas (from Kilclogher) - listed in the 1825 Kilballyowen Parish Tithe Applotment Book (John Mulvihill is listed there as well) http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... en_tab.htm

3. Who were Catherine Griffin Honan's siblings? (harder because there were many more Griffin families in Kilballyowen parish.)

4. Are there any of Uncle James' descendants still in Ireland? (James married a Susan Griffin) He had two children that I know of, Mary Anne and Michael -- Mary Anne moved to New York City and never married (lucky girl) (We used to get Christmas cards from her every year.) I don't know what happened to Michael's family. It would be good to know that they are prospering on that beautiful Loop Head peninsula

Long message-but I'll leave you with a photo of six of the Honan 10 (taken about 1910 - I think Annie is on the top left-- tell me if I'm wrong) and the grave of Michael and Catherine Honan on Loop Head which i received from another cousin, granddaughter of Mike (jr.)

James H.
Attachments
honangrave2.jpg
honangrave2.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 29280 times
earlyhonans.jpg
earlyhonans.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 29290 times

MaryAnnHolder

Post by MaryAnnHolder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:14 am

Dear James-- Thank you so much for your very helpful message last Thursday. My husband and I were visiting in Birmingham at our daughter's home and though I was able to receive your message, there was a problem with the connection and I couldn't send a post back to you until we got home this evening. The information that you have sent, including pictures is so good. The picture of six of the Honan siblings is wonderful. My grandmother is top left, as you said, next is probably Uncle Martin, then Aunt Mary. Bottom left is Aunt Catherine, then Uncle Mike and probably Aunt Margaret. A couple of them had died before I was born, but the ones I knew were just so nice and friendly. My mother also told me how nice your grandfather was to her when she was a child.

My family and I were stationed in Germany in the 1970's and were able to travel to Loop Head, Kilkee and other areas in County Clare in Summer 1974. We drove to the Honan cottage and visited Uncle James and his wife. They were so kind to us and our children. Soon after that we heard that Uncle James had died, either later in 1974 or 1975 I think.

My mother is Elizabeth (Betty) Mulvihill Hine, she lives in Orchard Park. She was wondering who your parents are. She has lost contact with some of her cousins and was trying to decide who's child you are.

If I find out any more information on Conor Honan or any other family members, I will send that on to you. Also have you or family attended any Honan reunions? They had a couple 15-20 years back that we were able to attend. Thank you again James, ------Your cousin, Mary Ann

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi James
I have just logged into this site and my goodness I am totally shaken by your family Honan photograph. The resemblance to my mother,sister and aunt is uncanny, there is no doubt in my mind but we are related! I actually thought this was a picture of my family. My mothers Mam was a Bridget Honan born in 1884 in Caherogan outside Miltown Malbay. Her fathers name was James Honan born in 1845. I dont have any other details of this James other than he had a brother Martin. His children were John, Bridget ( my grandmother)Thomas, Susan and Ellen. I would love to hear more of your side of family :D Teresa

jph

Post by jph » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:56 am

Mary Ann, nice to hear back from you! Great that you got to see Uncle James and the Honan cottage on Loop Head! My father was Don. I did go to at least one of those reunions in Buffalo years back! Amazing how many of us there are. Keep in touch.

Theresa, There is a possibility your James may be a brother to my great-grandfather Michael and son of Conor. Athough there were no records of this that I know of. I was told that birth records of before 1853 were unlikely in this part of Clare. The record of Conor being Michael's father was on Michael's marriage record. We have no other proof of there being brothers and sisters, But I find it highly unlikely there wouldn't be. Especially if they were born before 1853 as your James was! James, Martin, John and Thomas are certainly names used over and over in my family.

All the Best, James

jph

Post by jph » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 am

Theresa, I did some more research and found some more info on your Honans on another message board, see :http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.h ... 33/mb.ashx Have you seen this? It was an older message.
This mentioned a James born in 1845 in Caherogan. This says that your James' father was a Thomas.

James

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks James, yeh Thomas is James's father. I will have to visit home and talk to my aunt in her 90's she may be able to tell me how we are related to the guys in the picture. Will let u know.
Teresa

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:34 pm

http://www.interment.net/data/ireland/c ... farboy.htm

James the above link may be of interest to you, our Honans are buried here note the name Conor.
Teresa

jph

Post by jph » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 am

Teresa, Thanks so much for the link to Conor Honan -- very interesting. This couldn't have been my great-great grandfather Conor though -- since mine was born in 1809 and that Connor died in 1801. So not a father or brother of him either. But I'm sure all of us from West Clare are related somehow! I saw a picture of a John Honan from Australia from the 1920's in one of the web sites and he was the spitting image of my father!

It would be interesting to hear from your Aunt!

-James