Reply to Doug's mystery message; Tampa library research

Post by smcarberry » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Well, I am just a bit confused. When I came onto this site today, the
small blue lettering under the heading Library Forum stated that I have a
new message. That new message was dated Nov. 8th from Douglas
Burnett and had details of his Clare Library research, to which I posted a
reply. Usually after I click to post a message, the site shows me the
posting before I return to the index page. That did not happen this time,
and I can find neither Doug's posting nor the one I just did. The messages listed under Doug's name also do no show this most recent posting of his. So, I guess it all evaporated into cyber space. I am going to repeat some of both postings in this new message.

Doug said that his viewing of the O'Callaghan Mills parish records showed
a first-born son named "Tom.", and my reply urged him to not consider
that particular spelling as critical in view of the fluidity of spelling at that
time. He noted, and I agreed, that the Heritage Centre's transcription is
faulty and makes errors where the film itself is clear.

I also stated that I am attending the usual family Thanksgiving dinner in Florida, but this year I will break away on Wednesday to be at the John F.
Germany Library in Tampa before picking up my D.C. daughter at the
airport at 4 p.m. So, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. I will be in the 2 West
Reference Room or the nearby microfilm room and will be happy to
take a break and discuss Clare genealogy. I think it will be easy to
spot me, as I have the classic description of a Clare woman which appears in so many Ellis Island records: 5'7", light brown hair, blue-grey eyes.

Sharon C.

smcarberry

The mystery message from Doug, now posted here

Post by smcarberry » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:15 pm

I have now found my way back to the "private messages" section of this forum. It is there that back on Nov. 8th Doug Burnett had sent me (and only me, apparently inadvertently) the below message, which I am posting here because it is so obviously meant to be posted in this main, public section of the forum.

I am not repeating the reply I made to Doug, since the info in it is now
outdated.

Sharon C.

Under the subject line "Mathew O'Brien of Bodyke:

"Good Evening All
We were at the County Clare Library today and Peter was a great help.
Thanks to you Sharon for identifying those to ads in the Boston Pilot. County Clare had the CD for the papers and we saw the actual ad. Turns out Mathew apparently had two other brothers in the US. The full ad identifies them as Patrick and James. Piece by piece we are assemblying this family.
The other interesting revelation we found in the National Library of Ireland last week was in the Parish Records. Contrary to what the research paper from Clare Heritage said the records do include the name of the first child--Tom. Please note the period goes with Tom. and not the end of the sentence. The second child is also Tom. Same Comment. I would think this means the first child had died before the second was born. The third child was Winnie and not William. I must also say these records were very clear and there was no real sleuthing required to read them.
Unfortunately nothing has come directly from examining some of the manuscript of the Callaghan/Callagahan-Westroop papers in the manuscript collection.
We are going to work on what we have for the next couple of days as we wander around the countryside and then go back to the Clare Library on Monday.
I appreciate all the suggestions and help you folks have given me--Sharon, Paddy, John--thanks so much.
Doug Burnett

Doug

O'Brien

Post by Doug » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:24 am

Let's try again. I keep getting bounced to the log in screen. I have been trying to post this since before Thanksgiving.
Sharon
Thanks so much for this effort. One of the things we found in the County Clare Library was a CD of the Boston Pilot Newspaper. It appears to be the ads from the paper extracted and published. It really opened up avenues that I had not known about and which you have really expanded on. I am still looking for some library which has access to the digitzed newspapers to verify the extraction. After being burned by the County Clare Heritage Center I am now verifying this info.
We are actually headed to Va as I write this and while I will only have a day or so to work I am still trying to find Mathew's naturalization papers and his Irish son Thomas' papers. Unless I can find some voter rolls with their names on them I don't know that they were ever naturalized but I am going on the assumption they were.
Again
Thank you so much for your effort on this
Doug Burnett
Satellite Beach Florida
Douglas Burnett
Satellite Beach
Florida