Mangans of county Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

lassie41

Mangans of county Clare

Post by lassie41 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Hello

I am new to this forum and would love any information on my great great grandparents, Simon (born 1838) and Johanna Mangan both born in County Clare. They both came over to Liverpool and Simon was a shoemaker. They had 8 children all of which were born in Liverpool.

I would love any information regarding them or anything really on the Mangans born in Clare.

I don't know what parish they were born in and only know that they were born in Clare as it stated on the UK census.

Was shoemaking a common thing back then and how prosperous would they have been?. Was there something happening in Clare that made them travel to Liverpool?.

I have found them on the 1871/1881/1891 census and Johanna was a widow by the 1901 census and was a shopkeeper.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Gina

moc66

Mangans of Co Clare

Post by moc66 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Hello Gina
The name Mangan is found through out Co Clare but the biggest concentration of the name at the time of 1901 census was in the Kilrush Union. Check the http://www.clarelibrary.ie genealogy section Parish Tithes Griffith's Valuations in the Kilrush Union and other areas.
Your great-great-grandfather was seven at time of the Famine 1845 to 1849 and your forbears ended up in Liverpool to get away from the after effects of that time.
Many people ended up in Liverpool hoping to get a better passage to America and many never got past the city. Shoemakers were two a penny at that time in Ireland and were so right up to the 1930's. Keep an eye first names used in the family as you could come across clusters of a first name used over and over. I hope this is a small help this is my first message to the forum. Michael

lassie41

Post by lassie41 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:45 pm

Michael

Thanks you so much for your reply, and I shall certainly look at the pages you suggested.

If he came over here to escape the aftermath of the famine, then there's a chance he came over with his own parents.

Once again thank you, and I shall let you know how I get on.

Gina