Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:07 pm

Sheila and Jimbo, a very good New Year to you. Reading the ever-ongoing chronicle of East Clare families here has been a thrill, and I hope that the sharing will go on for at least another year. I am absorbed with a different tangent which may well yield a nugget that can be added to the treasure trove here, while I pursue elusive McNamara, Hickey, and Cooney families who have been appearing so very often in the histories of current-day descendants with whom I share DNA.

Two small observations to note:

(a) Just last month, I ran across an American instance of the Commane-Hurley name continuum but, entirely satisfied with Sheila's explanation, I did not note it down, to repeat here. Just know that the same fluidity in expression of that surname occurred in the final quarter-century of the 1900s in the U.S. I am thankful that the phenomenon did not extend to my surname, or else I would have to pursue any ancestor bold enough to call himself Mr. Charioteer. LOL

(b) I can confirm the aversion of Catholics in the early 1900s for non-Catholics' love of and dependence on the BIble as the center of their religious experience. My German-heritage devoutly-RC mother's explanation for why her family never tried to interact with a branch of that family who resettled only about 1000 miles away, was a very succinct and dismissive conclusion: "They read the Bible."

We now can do better than that. The search for truth, so well displayed in this thread, has not and will not abide such a limitation. Carry on, fellow genealogists. I look forward to every word.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:42 am

Hi Sharon
And a very good New Year to you too.
Interesting to hear that you’ve come across the Hurley version of the name Commane.
The change from Commane to Hurley in Knockreddan did not last long. Michael Hurley in Knockreddan in 1901 had become Michael Commane again when he died in 1906, aged 75, a widower. The record of his death gives John Loughery, son-in-law, Knockreddan, as the informant: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 560323.pdf
Michael’s wife, Catherine Commane [O’Grady], had died in 1906, aged 85. Again John Loughery is the informant: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 560323.pdf
I found the birth of their daughter, Bridget (1867), who married John Loughery in the 1890s (on unknown date): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 275276.pdf

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:39 am

CRUSHEEN

Do you remember, Crusheen in far-
___off County Clare?
Ah, 'tis always, and 'tis always I
___am wishing I am there!
When the morning sun is making
___dewdrop diamonds with its sheen,
Oh, my heart is with the shamrocks
___that are shining in Crusheen!

O 'twas I that had the bounding feet,
___the heart that sang all day!
'Twas I that had the happy laugh,
___the merry word to say!
'Twas I that never took a step be-
___yond our own boreen
But some true heart was waiting me,
___to keep me in Crusheen!

O, sad the day and dark the hour
___when but a girl still,
I bade good-bye to all I loved, to
___emerald vale and hill
And when the ship swung out to sea,
___'twas then I felt I'd seen
The last sun-ray I'd ever see on
___faithful old Crusheen!

The wattle-blossoms spread their gold
___to cheer my drooping soul,
And Austral hearts grow kinder still
___as near draws Heaven's goal,
But I am old, and grey, and bent; I
___live in what has been,
And day and night my heart cries
___out for Ireland and Crusheen!

So when I'm gone if o'er my grave
___some true hand rears a stone
To show that in one heart at least
___my name be not unknown.
The sleep will be the sweeter if one
___little word is seen
That tells I saw the light of life in
___beautiful Crusheen!

By Marion Miller Knowles (1865 - 1949)
Printed in The Advocate, Melbourne, 12 June 1909, page 34 (per Trove newspaper database)
The poem "Crusheen" by Irish-Australian poet Marion Miller Knowles, I reckon, provides an important clue as to where the missing McNamara's ** of Knockreddan in Crusheen may possibly have immigrated.

** The missing include Darby McNamara (born ≈1839), Daniel McNamara (≈1842), Bridget McNamara (≈1844), and Thomas McNamara (early 1850's).

Along with the poem "Crusheen", in searching the trove newspaper archives, there were many such reference in the Australian newspapers, such as:
HONORA FITZGIBBON, from Crusheen, county Clare, Ireland,—send your address to your sister Bridget, care James M'Namara, Williamson street, Sandhurst.
The Argus, Melbourne, 19 August 1859
CARROLL.—May 24, at her residence, Little Cleveland street, Surry Hills, the beloved wife [Bridget] of Thomas Carroll, and only daughter of Edward Kennedy, of Crusheen, county Clare, Ireland. Respected by all who knew her.
The Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney, 5 June 1874
Bridget Kennedy married Thomas Carroll in Sydney in 1873 (Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950). Was Bridget the daughter of Ned Kennedy, the bailiff who took the boycotted Viewmount farm in Crusheen after the widow Mrs. Stackpool was evicted in 1879? Not sure, as little detail (age, wife, death etc) is known about this Edward Kennedy.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/742 ... et-carroll

Sheila, your transcriptions from The Clare Journal included an 1863 death record for a John Houlihan, son of Thomas Houlihan, of Crusheen who died in Ballarat, Victoria - see below article in Houlahan family tree. Daniel McNamara, of Knockreddan, married Eliza Houlihan, daughter of Thomas Houlihan of Abbey View. Did Daniel and Eliza McNamara also immigrate to Ballarat, Victoria?

Thomas Houlahan Family of Abbeyview in Sunnagh Townland in Inchicronan Civil Parish and Crusheen Catholic Parish

Thomas Houlahan held Plot 3 in Sunnagh townland in Inchicronan Parish; lessor James Butler; houses, offices, & land; over 82 acres; valuation £48 in the 1855 Griffith Valuation. On the corresponding map on askaboutireland, the house at Plot 3 states "Abbey View". South of Plot 3 of Sunnagh townland is Knockreddan townland, Plots 4, 5, and 6; including the holding of Patrick McNamara of Plot 5.

A "Thomas Houlahan", age 84, died in the third quarter of 1868; Tulla civil registration not yet available on-line.

The Australian death record of "Pat Houlahan" in 1881 stated that his parents were Thomas Houlahan and Mary Pyne. The "Pyne" surname in Ireland was most common in the Ennis civil registration district.

A "Mary Houlihan", age 83, died in the fourth quarter of 1870; Tulla civil registration not yet available on-line.

Thomas Houlahan (1787 - 1868) and Mary Pyne (≈1787 - 1870) were the parents of at least seven children who lived at Sunnagh townland in Inchicronan (Crusheen) Parish. The Crusheen Catholic baptism records do not start until 1860, however, it was still possible to piece together their family tree. The estimated birth years, and thus order of their children, is a best guess based upon later marriage, census, and death records:

1.0 Catherine Houlihan (≈1827 per death record; - 1911)

Kate Houlihan, age 77, a spinster, was living with the family of Patrick O'Grady (age 34), his wife Mary O'Grady (age 32), and young daughter Mary O'Grady (age 2), and two domestic servants, in Sunnagh townland in the 1901 census: <Sunnagh, Toberbreeda, House 2; x>

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1087212/

"Kate Holohan", of Sunnagh, spinster, age 84 years, died on 28 March 1911; informant Patrick O'Grady of Sunnagh; Scarriff civil registration:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 505833.pdf
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchiv ... 1639314599

The probate package for Thomas Houlahan in Victoria included a transcription of the last Will of Kate Houlihan of Abbeyview:
I, Kate Houlihan of Abbeyview, Crusheen, in the County of Clare, Spinster, hereby revoke all Wills Codicils or other Testamentary Dispositions at anytime heretofore made by me and declare this to be my last Will and Testament I give devise and bequeath all the property of which I may die possessed of or entitled to particularly all the real and personal estate and effects belonging to my brother Thomas Houlihan of Poowong in the State of Victoria in Australia who died on the 4th day of February 1911 to which I am entitled as his only surviving lawful sister and his nearest of kin or otherwise, however, unto Patrick O'Grady, with whom I have lived and who has supported and befriended me for the past seventeen years, for his own absolute [unclear word] benefit and I appoint the said Patrick O'Grady sole Executor and Residuary Legatee of this my Will.
Dated this sixteenth day of March 1911
Kate Houlihan
Patrick O'Grady of Abbeyview first appears in the dog license register for the year ending March 1895, consistent with the 17 years mentioned in the last Will of Kate Houlihan. He was not some random stranger who befriended her in old age. Patrick O'Grady's mother was Mary Hehir, the sister of Ellen Hehir Houlihan, who was married to Kate Houlihan's younger brother, William Houlihan of Abbeyview.

2.0 Anne Houlihan (≈1830 - 1872)

Anne Houlihan and Thomas O'Toole would have married in the late 1850's based upon the birth of their first child in 1860 in Ballarat, Victoria. Could not locate their marriage in Australia, thus I assumed they married in Ireland. Crusheen Parish has no Catholic marriages records until 1900 (on ancestry), and civil marriage records don't start until 1864. However, Thomas O'Toole, age 29, a "bobby" (as in policeman), and Ann O'Toole, age 27, occupation "wife", both with nationality of Irish and appearing in the "married" column, arrived in Melbourne on 6 July 1858 on ship Florine which had departed out of Liverpool on 30 January 1858.

Directly below Thomas and Ann O'Toole on the Florine passenger listing, were two other men with the occupation "bobby": Michael Grady (age 32) and Pat Hannon (age 35). I suspect they were all members of the Irish Constabulary, the same as John Houlihan who arrived in 1862, sent by Britain to bring law and order to the Victorian gold fields. Constable Thomas O'Toole would be stationed in Ballarat.

Thomas O'Toole, born about 1827, died on 26 March 1865 and is buried at Ballarat Old Cemetery. Father reported as "unknown" on Australia death index. His occupation was "Constable" according to the administration of his will; grant recipient was Ann O'Toole. Anne O'Toole died seven years later on 14 March 1872; per the Australian Death Index her father was Thomas Houlihan. She was also buried at Ballarat Old Cemetery:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/22 ... ne-o'toole

............ 2.1 Mary Ellen O'Toole, born in 1860 in Ballarat East, father Thomas O'Toole, mother Ann Houlihan (per Australia Birth Index). Per 1911 probate records of her uncle, Thomas Houlahan, she lived at Wood Street in North Melbourne.
............ 2.2 Thomas O'Toole, born in 1864 in Ballarat East, father Thomas O'Toole, mother Ann Houlihan (per Australia Birth Index). Per 1911 probate records of his uncle, Thomas Houlahan, he lived at Bunbury Street of Footscray, Victoria.

3.0 John Houlihan (≈1832 - 1863)

"Jno Houlehan", Irish, age 29, arrived on 23 December 1862 at Melbourne on the Red Jacket.
DEATHS.
On the 29th Jan, at the residence of [his brother-in-law] Mr. Thomas O’Toole, Ballarat, John Houlihan, late of the Irish Constabulary, Loughrea, County Galway, aged 29, son of Mr. Thomas Houlihan, Crusheen, County Clare, Ireland, and a passenger in the “Red Jacket,” on her last trip from Liverpool. [Home papers please copy. Melbourne Victorian].

Clare Journal, Mon 20 Apr 1863

4.0 Patrick Houlahan (≈1833 - 1881)

Patrick Houlahan, single, age 24, laborer, arrived in Adelaide on 26 December 1857 on the ship Caucasian which left Plymouth on 10 September 1857; he appears to have been traveling with a Thomas Houlahan.

Given the timing of their arrival, I highly suspect the Houlahan brothers arrived in Australia to strike it rich during the Victoria Gold Rush. Gold was discovered in Ballarat in 1851 and later in other surrounding areas, including Ararat in 1857. Patrick Houlahan would own a large farm in Ballyrogan, southeast of Ararat by about 13 miles. Was "Ballyrogan" named after "Ballyroughan" townland in Quin, County Clare? Patrick never married and would be buried at Ballarat (the same cemetery as his sister, Anne O'Toole who died in 1872).

According to the Australia Death Index (1787-1985), Pat Houlahan, age 50, died in Ararat, Victoria in 1881; father Thos. Houlahan, mother Mary Pyne.
Funeral Notices.
The Friends of the late Mr. PATRICK HOULAHAN respectively invited to follow his remains to the place of interment the Ballarat Old Cemetery. The funeral procession will move from Western Railway Station This Day (Thursday) 29th inst, on arrival of the Ararat train, at 3 o'clock p.m.

The Ballarat Star, Victoria, Thursday, 29 December 1881
According to the Will of Patrick Houlahan of Ballyrogan, the beneficiaries were his brother Thomas Houlahan (Poowong); nephew Thomas O'Toole (Ballyrogan), and niece Mary Ellen O'Toole (Ballarat).
FOR SALE by TENDER, at BALLYROGAN, COUNTY of RIPON.
The PROPERTY of the late Mr. P. Houlahan, containing 548 acres of Freehold Land. It adjoins the properties of Messrs. Ware, Thompson, and Grant, and is enclosed by a good sheep-proof fence. Tenders to be addressed to Thos. Houlahan, Poowong, Gipps Land, on or before 20th of May next. Any tender not necessarily accepted.

The Argus, Melbourne, 24 April 1882 (same advertisement through 20 May 1882)

5.0 Thomas Houlahan (≈1837 - 1911)

Thomas Houlahan, single, age 20, laborer, arrived in Adelaide on 26 December 1857 on the ship Caucasian which left Plymouth on 10 September 1857; he appears to have been traveling with a Patrick Houlahan. Most likely their intention was to strike it rich during the Victoria Gold Rush of the 1850's.

Thomas Houlahan was a grazier with a sizable property outside of the town of Poowong, Victoria which was not settled until the 1870's. Thomas and Patrick lived nearly 200 miles apart; Patrick at Ballyrogan, about 125 northwest of Melbourne; and at Poowong, 70 plus miles southeast of Melbourne.
THE BUSH FIRES
PICTURESQUE RUIN AT POOWONG
34 FAMILIES BURNT OUT AT ALLAMBEE.

The wind has dropped since the fierce onslaught made by the bush fires upon this devoted region yesterday; hence this morning the whole country is filled with smoke fog, which hangs stagnant amongst the trees and the gullies. The sun is scarcely to be discerned through the haze, although the oppressive. . . .

Eastward from Poowong to Allambee the fire has been cruelly disastrous. In about 15 miles it burned out 34 families. As these unfortunates had been up day and night expecting an attack, there were few sudden surprises; yet, when the fire did come, it ran like gunpowder, and the position of all human beings in its course was one of extreme peril. There were a few striking incidents . . . Another leading farm and homestead sacrificed was Mr. T. Houlahan's. His house with 500 acres of the best grass in the district all went in 20 minutes. During a storm that followed a tree on Houlahan's land was struck by lightning, and another on Mr. Mair's, as if there were not enough fire there already. Mr. Houlahan contrived to save some grass seed and a few valuables by lowering them down a tank. Mrs. McCarthy, a lady over 60, had to abandon her house and everything in it . . .

. . . [full article on trove: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191477920 ]

The Age, Melbourne, 4 February 1898
Like his brother Patrick of Ballyrogan, Thomas Houlahan of Poowong died a bachelor. But unlike his brother, Thomas died intestate (without a will).
WILLS AND ESTATES
Application has been made by the Union Trustee Company of Australia Limited for letters of administration of the estate of Thos. Houlihan, last of Poowong, grazier, who died on 4th February, intestate. The estate is valued at £9,056, consisting of £8,397 real property and £659 personal property, and goes to deceased's next of kin.

The Age, Melbourne, 10 March 1911
UNEXPECTED WINDFALLS
. . . . A much larger sum was involved in the second originating summons, which was connected with the estate of Thomas Houlahan, late of Poowong, grazier, whose death took place on 4th February, 1911, and whose estate was valued at between £8000 and £9000. Deceased was a bachelor, and for the purpose of ascertaining the next of kin, Mary Ellen O'Toole, of Wood street, North Melbourne, and Thomas O'Toole, of Bunbury street, Footscray, niece and nephew of deceased, were joined as defendants. The inquiry by the chief clerk proved that Kate Houlahan and Mrs. Flanagan, two sisters, of County Clare, Ireland, were, with the niece and nephew, the sole next of kin. His Honor directed the distribution of the estate amongst the persons named, the legal representatives of Kate Houlahan taking her share, as she died after Thomas Houlahan. The niece and nephew each get one-sixth of the estate, and the others one-third each, the amount to be distributed being subject to the payment of the costs of all parties as .....

The Age, Melbourne, 17 April 1912

6.0 William Houlihan (≈1841 - 1886)

"William Houlahan", age 32, farmer, of Abbeyview, son of Thomas Houlahan (dead), married Ellen Hehir (≈1847 - after 1890), age 26, of "Carakiel", daughter of farmer Daniel Hehir, on 25 February 1873 at the Catholic chapel in Crusheen, by the parish priest Peter Meade; witnesses Paul McGrath and Anne Hehir:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208225.pdf
ANTI-LAND COURT OUTRAGES
THREE COWS AND A HORSE BURNED TO DEATH.

Ennis, Wednesday.

Last night, about eleven o'clock, a most dastardly and malicious outrage was perpetrated on a respectable farmer named William Houlihan, living at Abbeyview, Crusheen. His cow-house and stable were set on fire and totally burned together with three valuable milch cows and a horse. The only reason assigned for this atrocious outrage is that Houlihan had valued a farm held by Patrick Cahir, in the same neighbourhood, for the purpose of having a judicial rent fixed by the Land Commission at Ennis. Cahir is paying 30s an acre for the land, which comprises 14 acres, Government valuation £9 10s. Threatening notices have been served on several valuators to have nothing to do with the Land Court. Notices were posted last night on the door of all the tenants on the Drumline (Newmarket-on-Fergus) estate of John Bouchier, Esq., J P, threatening them with a visit from the Moonlight Boys if they paid any rent. The tenants hold under leases, some at the Government valuation and others less. Two years ago the leaseholder's interest of twelve acres on this estate was sold for £200.

Dublin Daily Express, Thursday, 22 December 1881
William Houlihan, farmer, of Abbeyview, age 47 years, married, died on 22 January 1886; informant brother-in-law Joseph Hehir, present at death at Abbeyview (Galway registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 791830.pdf

After the death of her husband, Ellen Houlihan, of Abbeyview, paid for a dog license between 1886 and 1891. William and Ellen Houlihan don't appear to have had any children which is consistent with the last Will in 1911 of his sister, Catherine Houlihan of Abbeyview. Ellen Houlihan died on 15 December 1893; I could not locate her civil death record, but found the related Will calendar at the National Archives:
HOULIHAN, Ellen (51) 27 January [of 1897] Administration of the estate of Ellen Houlihan late of Sunnagh Abbey View County Clare, Widow who died on 15 December 1893 granted at Dublin to Mary O'Grady (Wife of J [James] O'Grady) of Sunnagh, the Sister. Effects £163 10s.

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchiv ... 1639321625

7.0 Elizabeth Houlihan (≈1843 - unknown)

Eliza Houlihan, of Crusheen, daughter of Thomas Houlihan (dead), married Daniel McNamara (≈1842, age 9 in the 1851 census - death unknown), farmer, of Crusheen, son of farmer Pat McNamara (alive), on 15 July 1874 at the Catholic chapel in Ennis, by the parish priest Peter Meade; witnesses James Morrissey and Mary McGrath:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 124824.pdf

............ 7.1 Thomas McNamara, was born on 7 April 1875 , Abbeyview, father Daniel McNamara of Knockreddan, mother Elizabeth Houlihan (Tulla civil registration). Thomas Mack was baptized on 7 April 1875, residence Abbeyview, at Crusheen Parish; sponsors Patt Mack and Kate Houlihan.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ... 136124.pdf

Later whereabouts after 1875 are still a mystery.

8.0 "Mrs. Flannagan" ("sister" living in County Clare according to 1912 newspaper accounts of Thomas Houlahan final probate)

Something, actually several things I reckon, just doesn't smell right about the final probate of Thomas Houlahan of Poowong.

#1 Identity of "Mrs. Flannagan"?

The Victoria probate records for Thomas Houlahan, a package of about 25 pages, listed the four final beneficiaries in a summary dated 18 June 1912: (1) Executor of Kate Houlahan deceased, 1/3rd, £2,325; (2) Kate Flanagan, 1/3rd, £2,325; (3) Mary Ellen O'Toole, ½ of 1/3rd, £1,162; (4) Thomas O'Toole, ½ of 1/3rd, £1,162. Kate Houlahan was mentioned in the probate records several times, including the testimony of Thomas O'Toole who noted that his uncle Thomas Houlahan had received a letter from his sister in 1910. However, "Kate Flanagan" was not mentioned anywhere else in the probate records.

The newspaper account of The Age of Melbourne on 17 April 1912 stated "Kate Houlahan and Mrs. Flannagan, two sisters, of County Clare, Ireland". How could Thomas Houlahan of Poowong have had two sisters named Catherine? Who is Kate Flanagan? Could she be a niece?

#2 The Final Will of Kate Houlahan of Abbeyview?

The Abbeyview farm at Sunnagh Townland (Plot 3 in Griffith Valuation) appears to have passed from Thomas Houlahan (≈1784 - 1868), to his eldest son still living in Ireland, William Houlahan (≈1841 - 1886); then to his wife, Ellen Hehir Houlahan (died 15 December 1893); then to her sister, Mary Hehir O'Grady; and then to her son, Patrick O'Grady (1865 - after 1911) who was taking care of Kate Houlahan (≈1827 - 1911) from about 1894 until her death in 1911.

Mary Hehir, age 22, daughter of Daniel Hehir, of Dramsallagh, married James Grady, age 20, son of Martin Grady, of Kilnaboy Parish, on 21st February 1865 at Crusheen Catholic church:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 254843.pdf

Their children, including Patricius Grady baptized on 20 February 1866, are reported in the Rath-Kilnaboy baptism register (1862-1881) as living in Nooan townland. James Grady and Mary Hehir were living at Nooan, Rath, in both the 1901 and 1911 Irish census.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1068203/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... an/351970/

The final Will of Kate Houlahan was dated 16 March 1911 and referenced the death of her brother, Thomas Houlahan, on 4 February 1911 in Poowong, Victoria. How was it possible that Kate Houlahan / Patrick O'Grady could have been informed so quickly, and by whom? The probate records include testimony by the Rev. John O'Grady of Melbourne, who acted as the attorney / representative of Patrick O'Grady of Abbeyview. I reckon the Rev. John O'Grady would have seen the Melbourne Age of 10 March 1911 detailing the estate of Thomas Houlahan of Poowong totaling £9,056, and most importantly that Thomas died intestate, and sent a telegraph to Patrick O'Grady of Abbeyview, who had been looking after Kate Houlahan for 17 long years, to get her final Will in order. It is not stated in the probate records, but the Rev. John O'Grady of Melbourne was the brother of Patrick O'Grady of Abbeyview, per the following research.

The Rev. John O'Grady was ordained at All Hallow's College on 18 June 1905, one of about 28 priests ordained that day. The newspaper account listed each of their destination diocese, and that John O'Grady was bound for Melbourne (Fermanagh Herald, 24 June 1905). The Rev. J. O'Grady arrived on the ship Omrah at Freemantle, WA, on 27 October 1905 along with several other newly ordained priests. In 1913, the Rev. John O'Grady would be transferred to Geelong, and in 1915 to Warburton. He died on 20 March 1920 at the age of 41 years old, his obituary stated his birth place as County Clare. "Joannes Grady" was baptized on 28 May 1878, the son of Jacobus Grady and Mary Hehir of "Noan" townland at Rath-Kilnaboy Parish. In his final Will, the Rev. John O'Grady, would leave £100 for masses to be said for his late mother, Mary O'Grady; and £500 to his father, James O'Grady of "Kilnaboy, Ennis". He also listed siblings, including £500 for "my sister, Delia O'Grady (in religion called Sister Mary St. Clare) of the Convent of the Good Shepherd Abbotsford in said state [Victoria]".

1920 obituary for Rev. John O'Grady, with photo (on trove newspaper datebase):
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... 27Grady%22

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/131 ... hn-o'grady
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155 ... et-o'grady

Based upon this research, it makes perfect sense that Patrick O'Grady of Abbeyview would be notified quickly that he needed to update the final Will of Catherine Houlihan.

#3 Eliza Houlihan and Daniel McNamara of Abbeyview / Knockreddan?

The Houlihan's of Abbyview, who emigrated to Victoria, were meant to lead to Daniel and Eliza McNamara of Knockreddan, but this research has now only increased the mystery of their later whereabouts.

The last known Irish records for Daniel McNamara and Eliza Houlahan of Knockreddan were the 1875 baptism and civil birth record for their son, Thomas McNamara. They cannot be found in the civil death records or 1901 Irish census, and thus, appear to have emigrated. The last Will of Kate Houlahan in 1912, in relation to Thomas Houlihan of Poowong, stated that she was "his only surviving sister". But, assuming that Eliza Houlihan McNamara had indeed died prior to 1911, does that also mean that her son, Thomas McNamara born in 1875, or any other subsequent children, who would have inherited a share of the Thomas Houlihan estate, had also died prior to 1911?

It is fairly evident that the Daniel and Eliza McNamara family of Knockreddan did not remain in Ireland. And also, that Kate Houlahan McNamara did not follow her siblings to Victoria; she or her children were not named in the final Will of Patrick Houlahan of Ballyrogan, Victoria who died in 1881. I also reckon it's a bit unlikely that they would have gone elsewhere in Australia such as Queensland or New South Wales.

New Zealand? Many of the Irish emigrants from mountainous regions of East Clare appear to have become miners, such as the Perrills of Turkenagh who went to California (the William Mealey of Glandree and San Francisco thread). A miner named Daniel McNamara was "killed accidentally on the 17th day of September, 1884, in a tunnel at Cape Terrace, near Kumara, by a fall of timber and earth", according to the Kumara Times of 22 September 1884 (see full article in link below). However, his mates paid for a nice headstone at Kumara cemetery, which states "native of Kings County" (difficult to read on findagrave photo, but agrees to "NZ Cemetery Records, 1800 - 2007", available on ancestry).

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newsp ... ippet=true
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143 ... l-mcnamara

USA? I reckon it is most likely that the missing McNamara's of Knockreddan went to America. Patrick McNamara appears to have returned to Ireland when reinstated in 1909 in the McNamara lands at Knockreddan, since he cannot be found in the 1901 Irish census. It is much easier to return to Ireland from the east coast of the USA, than either Australia or even California. This would be similar to Ellen Moloney Loughery who had been living in Brooklyn when she returned in Ireland in 1909 to get reinstated in the Loughery lands at Knockreddan. Other avenues of research: Thomas McNamara, born in 1875, the son of Daniel McNamara and Eliza Houlihan, might be found in WWI registration records? I reckon these McNamara's will be discovered someday when doing research on other McNamara emigrants from County Clare.

In the 1851 Irish Census included with the family of Patrick McNamara of Knockreddan was a 14-year-old cousin named Margaret Heffernan. This Heffernan cousin connection might provide an important clue about the McNamara's of Knockreddan and where several of them ended up.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:57 pm

Lots of good questions, Iimbo. Although I don't take note of Houlihan and only rarely keep anything on McNamara of central to west Clare, I have one thing to add about Crusheen in the late 1800s. I have two newspaper mentions of a Patrick McNamara at Crusheen without anything in the news items or in my notes to indicate his age, family, etc. Today I looked quickly at McNamara in Michigan 1870-1880, without seeing anything that seems to fit. Nonetheless, this is the Clare incident (with March 27th apparently coincidentally the time of publication twice, exactly one year apart during which multiple trials occurred):

27 March 1878 The Irish Canadian (newspaper) "Clare" section
"The Chief Baron and Justice Fitzgerald opened the Assizes, at Ennis, on March 4th...A man named Patrick McNamara was tried for the murder of Patrick Kearney, at Crusheen. The jury could not agree, and were discharged. The prisoner will be put on trial at the next Assizes."

27 March 1879 New York Herald p.1
"The British Government has released Patrick Macnamara, charged with the murder of Patrick Carney, at Crusheen, in County Clare, in January last, on condition that he leaves the country for Jackson City, Michigan, where some of his relatives reside, and to which place the Government will pay his passage. Macnamara was placed on trial three times -- twice in Clare, and once at Cork at the last winter assizes when Judge Barry remitted the case back to Clare."

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:59 am

CLARE SPRING ASSIZES, 1878.
CROWN COURT—Wednesday

The Lord Chief Baron took his seat on the bench in the Crown Court soon after ten o'clock this morning.

THE CRUSHEEN MURDER CASE.

Sergeant Sherlock intimated the Crown were ready to proceed with the trial of Patrick McNamara, against whom true bills had been found by the Grand Jury for murder.

The long panel having been called one hundred and twenty answered, and after considerable challenges the following were sworn on the jury:—Robert Holmes, jun., Foreman; James Cullinan, William Keogh, Patrick Molony, Samuel Bourke, Timothy Cullinan, Daniel Considine, Michael Killeen, John C. Mahony, Anthony O'Dwyer, John S. O'Connell, and James Cronin.

Patrick M'Namara was then indicted for the willful murder of Patrick Kearney, near Crusheen, on the 15th of January last. The prisoner, through his solicitors, Messrs. Cullinan and Molony, pleaded not guilty. Mr Fitzgerald, B.L., appeared as Counsel for the defence.

Mr Sergeant Sherlock, Mr Coffey, and Mr Lynch, were the Counsel for the Crown, instructed by Mr Murphy, Crown Solicitor.

All witnesses having been ordered out of court Sergeant Sherlock stated the case, representing that on the 15th of January the deceased was known to have left his house with a horse and car for the purpose of purchasing scallops, and between 12 and 1 o'clock of the day he was found lying on the road side, with his head beaten in by stones, and in about ten minutes after being so found he died. The prisoner was connected with deceased by marriage, and had differences with him about land. The evidence that would be adduced was solely circumstantial, but in his mind so strong as to leave no doubt but the prisoner was the perpetrator of the murder.

Mr George A Millard, C E, was the first witness called. He deposed that had made a map of the scene of the occurrence, which was produced in court. A copy of this map was submitted to the jury, and the witness explained the several points indicated upon it.

Mr James Ryan, station-master in Crusheen, was next examined, and in reply to Mr Coffey, Q C, deposed that the train from Limerick to Gort arrived at the station at 11 55 on the 15th January and left at 11 57.
Mr Fitzgerald—When did you write that? On the departure of the train.
Were you on the platform? I was.
On your oath did the train only remain two minutes? On my oath that was all. Sometimes she only remains a minute.

Thomas McInerney was next examined by Sergeant Sherlock. He deposed—I live at Gortnicka [Gortaniska], near Crusheen; I know Pat Kearney, and saw him about one o'clock on the 15th of January.
Sergeant Sherlock—Was he then living? He was.
What position was he in? Lying on his back.
What did you do then? I ran back and told Monty Tierney of it.
Did you come back again? Yes, I did with Tierney.
What did you do next? I ran back and met my mother.
His Lordship—Was your mother with you when you and Tierney came up? No.
Sergeant Sherlock—Did you see stones on the road? I did.
Did you see a horse and car?
Mr Fitzgerald—Really, Sergeant, this is too important a case to lead the witness.
Sergeant Sherlock—Was his coat open? It was.
Did you go away then? I did.
Can you state what hour it was? About one o'clock.
Mr Fitzgerald—How far from the body did you see the horse and car? About 100 yards; I live about a mile from where the body was found.

Morty Tierney was next examined by Mr Coffey—I recollect seeing the body of a man on the road on the 15th of January; I was engaged bringing home turf from a bog along with John Walsh.
Did you see anything on the road? A horse and cart without a driver.
Was that on the road leading towards Doon? It was.
Was there any communication made you by the last witness? There was; I met him after passing the house, and in consequences of what he told us, went back and first saw a hat about from here to the gate of the courthouse from the body; the man was not dead at the time.
Was he able to speak? I don't think he was.
How did you find his pockets? Turned inside out.
I believe you sent for the police? Yes, I went for them.
Up to the time you saw the body, did you see any one on the road? No.
What sort a wall was there near where the body was found? A single stone wall.
Mr Fitzgerald—What distance was the hat from the body? A few yards; the vest was open; I could see over the wall at the side of the road.

Dr William Cullinan deposed, in reply to Mr Lynch, that he examined the body of the deceased and found a cut on the eyebrow and on the back of his head; his skull was smashed to bits.
Mr Lynch—In your opinion, what was the cause of death? The wounds of the head.
What were they likely to have been inflicted by? By stones.
Is it likely they could have been caused by a fall from a car? No.
Nor from the kick of a horse? I think under the circumstances it would have been impossible.

Miss Mary Dillon was next examined by Sergeant Sherlock, and stated—I pointed out to Mr Milward the locality of my father's house; I remember the 15th of January; between twelve and one o'clock I was in Mr Slattery's house inside the window, which is facing Crusheen.
I saw a man run where the deceased lay but I did not know him.
In what direction did he run? Towards our house; he put his hand on a wall as he was going to jump over it but he did not.
In what direction did he then go? Towards Gort.
Where did you lose sight of him? He went only a few yards from where he was going to jump out and I turned from the window and did not see him anymore; he wore a flannel waistcoat.
About what distance was he from you? About 150 yards.
To Mr Fitzgerald—I was inside the house and the window was closed; I am not sure is the place more than 150 yards away.

Mr John Dillon examined by Mr Coffey, deposed—I recollect the 15th of January, and know a man named Murty Tierney; in consequence of what he told me I went and saw the deceased, who wasn't dead at the time; he wore an outside coat, and an inside one, and a waistcoat, and his pockets were turned inside out, two stones near the body were spotted with blood (the stones were here produced) before Tierney came up I observed a man running; I am sure he was a young man from the way he ran; he ran very fast; he wore a white flannel waistcoat, a corduroy trouser, and his coat was hanging over his shoulders; he came from where the dead man was, and when he came to the wall between two fields he turned and ran in the direction of Doon; he had on a black low hat; from the time I saw him run I did not see a human being on the road; the body lay on the right.
Had you been on the road before you saw the body? Yes.
How long? To the best of my belief about ten minutes; the stones were not there then.
His Lordship—Was the body there then? No.
Mr Coffey—How long did the deceased live after you came there? About ten minutes.
Mr Fitzgerald—How far is your house from the road? 200 yards.
How far is your house from Trimbletown [Thimbletown], where the prisoner lives? About two and a half miles.
His Lordship—How long after you saw the man running did Tierney come up to you? About half an hour.

The witness [still John Dillon] then deposed, that when his attention was called to the occurrence of the state in which the deceased was found he proceeded there at once. It was not more than 200 yards from his house. Found stones about the body. Passed the road a few minutes before he came up to the spot where he found the man on the ground, and observed no stones on the road. He was bleeding desperately from the mouth, and throwing up occasionally thick clods of blood. As I said before he was not exactly dead, but expired in ten minutes after. I reported the affair at once to the police.

To the Court—It was about half an hour before I saw the body that I passed; there were no stones there then; they could not have been there without my observing them.

Court—How long was it after you left the man who was dying on the road did Tierney come up to you?
Witness—Not more than ten minutes.
Court—Are you able to identify the man you saw running along the wall in the field?
Witness—No; all I could observe was his running and that he wore a white flannel waistcoat, with something like a forage coat, thrown over his shoulder.

Catherine Cusack was next examined and deposed that she remembered the day of the murder; was in a field adjoining her father's house between eleven and twelve o'clock, and observed a man quickly walking along a wall a distance from where she stood. He crossed the wall, and went through other fields. He went in the direction of Dillon's house from one field to another. He wore a discolored flannel waistcoat with sleeves and had a sort of coat thrown over his shoulder. Known the prisoner well, but could not swear he was the man she saw.

Mr. Fitzgerald—For the best of reason, because he was not. There was a strolling tramp about the neighbourhood then.
To the Court—I was not near enough to recognize the man I saw.

Thomas Griffiths was sworn but his evidence merely went to show that on the day of the murder about the time it took place, he saw a man with a flannel vest running through the fields. The place from where he saw the man and Dillon's house was about a half a mile.

The next, and principal witness as to positive identification was Thomas Heffernan, who was examined by Sergeant Sherlock; and deposed that he held a farm within a mile of Dillon's house, on the day of the murder he saw a man coming up from the hollow towards the top of the hill; he was not more than 40 yards from him; the prisoner [Patrick McNamara] is the man, and he was seemingly going in the direction of his own house; he wore a faded flannel waistcoat, and had a sort of a dark coat thrown loosely over his shoulders.

Mr Coffey—Are you positively sure the prisoner is the man you saw that day?
Witness—Quire sure, sir.
Mr Coffey—You know him well, I presume?
Witness—Perfectly. It was between twelve and 1 o'clock at the time.
Cross-examined by Mr Fitzgerald—I did not speak to him; at the distance he was from me I am sure he was the man.
Mr. Fitzgerald—Now, could you not be mistaken at that distance about a man you saw wearing a flannel shirt?
Witness—I knew him too well to be mistaken.
Court—What time did you see him?
Witness—About dinner time, near one o'clock.
Mr Fitzgerald—Though this witness has stated he knew the man he saw, I don't think the jury will be satisfied upon that point.
Court—That will rest with the jury to decide.
Mr Fitzgerald—I know, my lord, but I think I am at liberty to make the observation.
Court—Perfectly so, Mr Fitzgerald, but the witness has sworn positively that he knew the man.
Mr Fitzgerald—My lord, I must notice everything I can on behalf of the prisoner.
Court—And I will give you the fullest latitude in doing so, this being a case of circumstantial evidence, where everything for the advantage of the accused ought to be put forward.
Sergeant Sherlock—But, my Lord, Mr Fitzgerald is not entitled at this stage to cast out insinuations.
Court—When he is concerned for a man on trial of his life, I will afford him every legal advantage. That I am bound to do presiding as Judge.
Sergeant Sherlock—I beg your lordship's pardon, you are quite right, but our additional evidence is of a very strong character.
Court—I presume the Crown would not go on with the case otherwise. Go on with your evidence.

Mary Keane was examined and swore she resided in the locality of the murder, and on the day it occurred she saw a man running up through the fields wearing a flannel waistcoat, but did not know who he was. He wore a small hat and his coat was thrown over his shoulder.
Mr Fitzgerald—Did you know the prisoner before that day?
Witness—I think I did.
Mr Fitzgerald—Will you now take upon yourself to say he was the man you saw?
Witness—No Sir, I could not know the man I saw.

Michael Keehan was sworn but his evidence merely went to show that upon the day of the murder he was cutting bog wood on a townland in the vicinity of the murder, and saw a man between 12 and 1 o'clock passing, dressed with a flannel jacket, wearing a low hat, and sort of frock coat thrown over his shoulders.

Thomas Donnellan deposed that he recollected the day Kearney was murdered; he was working above the place where Kearney was murdered; he saw the prisoner [Patrick McNamara] that day about the time the train was in Crusheen within his own land after calves; it was mid day. He was dressed in his own clothes. He was facing up home. Saw him next about three o'clock with a load of bog stuff.
Cross-examined—He was walking after calves about noon. That was about three miles from Crusheen.
To His Lordship—He could see, from where he was, the train stop at Crusheen.

John Kehan [Keehan] deposed to Mr Lynch that he knew Pat Kearney who was killed, and knew Pat Macnamara the prisoner. Saw Kearney about 11 o'clock. He was coming down the road with a horse and car that was near the village. Saw the prisoner about the same time in his own field, and Kearney should pass down by that field. Witness saw Macnamara and spoke to him. A person standing where Macnamara stood should see a person passing the road; could not rightly describe his clothes only that he had a dark frock and his hands were not out. He wore a low hat.
Cross examined by Mr Fitzgerald—This was 12 o'clock.

Continued on Page Three.

Sub-Constable Burke sworn, On the day Kearney was murdered he received information about 2 p.m., and went with other constables to Knockmeal. He found Kearney lying on the side of the road near a pool of blood. There were stones near with blood on them. He went then to the murdered man's house; next he went to the prisoner's house but he was not there. He found him [Patrick McNamara] near the place. He asked was his name Pat Macnamara and he replied it was. He said he had been drawing bogmould and went to draw it about 9 or 10 o'clock. He said he heard Paddy Kearney was killed. He examined his clothes but there was nothing on them. Witness examined his clothes with his permission. He would have let the prisoner go up to that time.
Cross examined—Did you ask his permission. He did not consider he had grounds for arresting him. He did not catch hold of him.
To Sergeant Sherlock—He said he could not tell how many loads he had drawn, upon which witness asked him had he five or ten loads, and he said he had or more.

Did you see any of his clothes at the barracks? Yes.

Did you see his shoes? Yes, and I remarked they were polished. I asked him had he a second pair of shoes and he said he had an old pair of shoes but that he had not worn them since the previous Saturday. When they were produced they were wet and dirty, with bog-mould and clay; I found on the breast of his flannel waistcoat a spot that appeared to be blood (the vest was here produced and identified by the witness.)

Mr Fitzgerald—When you told him Kearney was killed was it known in the neighbourhood? It was.
You remarked the shoes were wet? Did the prisoner's mother say anything? She said the prisoner's sister might have worn them.

Captain M'Ternan, R M, was next examined and deposed—That the prisoner had been charged before him with murder; after giving him the usual caution the prisoner made a statement.

The witness here read a statement which he swore had been made by the prisoner and it was handed in evidence. It was as follows:—
"I [Patrick McNamara] was at home all day except when I was about the calves which were not very far. I was not there [Knockmeal, presumably] at all. That way [the Knockmeal road] would not be my way home, I was often in Crusheen, and I never went that damned way. I never took that line, it would be a contrary way to home, it would be more facing Cahir than my way. It was not facing where I lived at all indeed."
Patrick Halloran was next examined—In reply to Mr Lynch he stated—I knew the prisoner and remember the day Kearney was killed. I was drawing turf on that day and the prisoner was drawing bog mould. I was throwing the turf where he was passing on the road. I first saw him about ten or half-past ten o'clock.
How long did you continue at work? Until about three.
His Lordship—From where you were working had you a view of the road? In some places I had and some places I had not; I saw him about ten and I did not next see him until half past two. I brought seven loads of turf that day.
To his Lordship—The prisoner might have been at his house during the time I came down with the loads.
To Mr Fitzgerald—There were some hollows where I could not see the road.

Here there was an adjournment for luncheon.

When his lordship returned, Doctor Charles A. Cameron was called.
Constable Daniel Lapp was also called and proved that he received the jacket (produced) and sent it to Dr Cameron.
Dr Charles Cameron deposed that he had examined part of the vest found upon the prisoner, and upon the part cut out was a spot of blood.
To Mr Fitzgerald—There were no other blood stains upon the garment. I could not swear that it was human blood.
A Juror—Could you fix the time the stain was placed there? Within a week or so.

M. Kenny [surely, Michael Kearney] was next examined by Mr Coffey—The murdered man was my uncle, and I lived with him; I married the sister of the prisoner. I lived with the deceased five years next Shrovetide.
Mr Coffey—Did you leave of your own accord?
Mr Fitzgerald—I object to this evidence.
Mr Coffey—Had you any conversation with the prisoner in reference to you and your wife being turned out? I had not, sir. Of course when we were turned out, we were all talking about it.

Tell me what the conversation was in his presence? Macnamara said we had no claim to the land when we did not get it at our marriage.
Did he [Patrick McNamara] say who had the land was to go to? I don't remember.

Mr Milward was recalled to prove the distance in the points indicated in the map.

This closed the case for the crown.

Mr Fitzgerald—My lord the deceased man's wife has made an information. Of course I will be allowed to cross-examine her.
His Lordship—Certainly.
Mary Kearney was then produced, and in reply to Mr Fitzgerald stated that on the day her husband was killed he went for scallops and witness gave him ten shillings.

Mary Keane was also recalled and stated, in reply to Mr Fitzgerald, that she had told Capt M'Ternan that the prisoner had kept his face away from her.

At the desire of the judge, Mr Harvey, clerk of the crown read her informations.

Mr Fitzgerald then addressed the jury. The case he said was a desperate one and upon their verdict depended the life of the prisoner at the bar. He need scarcely remind them that if they have, amidst the tangled thread of evidence, a solitary doubt, they are bound to acquit the prisoner. The learned Sergeant who opened the case stated it was a murder for revenge, but the first thing they had to consider was there a murder at all. Assuming that the deceased man was murdered the first thing the jury had to consider was what was the motive. The Crown in opening the case relied on the position not of the prisoner at the bar but of the man—the deceased's nephew—who had been turned out of his home by the deceased. God forbid that he (counsel) should point to the nephew of deceased as the perpetrator of the act but the fact that there had been a hostility between him and the deceased points suspicion, at all event, away from the prisoner. Counsel having alluded to the incompatibility, of a murder being committed from mere hostility, and at the same time having a robbery committed, went on to say that he would produce a witness to prove that the day upon which the occurrence took place was a fair day in the neighbourhood and that consequently this circumstance suggested that the deed had been committed by some tramp. Surely if the prisoner at the bar wished to take away the life of the deceased he would not select a day when people, who would likely see the act, were continually passing along the road, and this assumption, in itself, would go to prove that the murder had been perpetuated by some[one] to whom the possession of the money belonging to the deceased was a motive sufficient for the crime. Counsel then went on to review the evidence seriatim and concluded by expressing the hope that the jury would discharge their duty conscientiously and that duty was to bring in a verdict of acquittal.

Mr Coffey replied for the Crown at some length and
His Lordship having charged the jury they retired at 5:40 and after sometime returned into court stating that they were unable to agree to a verdict.

His Lordship then directed that two policemen and two bailiffs be sworn and jury be given them in charge. He also intimated that he would call back at half-past eight, but directed that he be sent for in the meantime if the jury had agreed or required his assistance.

His Lordship then left the court.

At half-past eight he returned, and the jury having been called out the foreman stated that it was impossible for them to arrive at a verdict. His Lordship asked what course the crown intended to pursue.

Mr Lynch replied that they intended putting the prisoner on his trial a second time.

The Court then adjourned.

Clare Freeman and Ennis Gazette, Saturday, 9 March 1878
Patrick McNamara was tried again at the Summer Assizes in Clare in July 1878, which pretty much had the same witnesses, and same circumstantial evidence, with the jury not able to agree upon a decision; 11 for acquittal, and 1 guilty. This was at 1 a.m. on Friday morning, the 12th of July. The Crown wanted to postpone the third trial, but the attorney for the defense, Mr G Fitzgibbon, Q C, objected. "The prisoner, Patrick McNamara, was then for the third time indicted for the wilful murder of Patrick Kearney" (Irish Times, 13 July 1878). After a jury was sworn in, the Crown made their case, the jury visited the scene of the crime on Friday and returned late to Ennis where they were sequestered at a hotel. The trial continued on Saturday with the same witnesses as the previous Thursday (the press did not cover the detail). Once again, the jury could not agree upon a verdict. Patrick McNamara's application for bail was refused. The Crown tried to have Patrick McNamara tried at the Winter Assizes in County Cork, but there were objections. Finally,
Patrick MacNamara, the reputed murderer of the aged farmer, Patrick Kearney, near Crusheen last January twelve months, and tried three times for the offence at Ennis assizes with a result on each occasion of a disagreement of the jury, has been released by the attorney general. The condition being that he was to leave the county at the expense of the Government, on yesterday [25 February] MacNamara left Ennis gaol in charge of a warder from Spike Island, en route for Queenstown, there to embark in one of the mail steamers for America. His father and relatives were permitted to have an interview with him before his departure from the prison and at the train.

Clare Freeman and Ennis Gazette, Wednesday, 26 February 1879
MAIL NEWS.
QUEENSTOWN, WEDNESDAY.—The White Star Royal mail steamer Republic arrived from Liverpool at 2:30 p.m., embarked mails and passengers, and proceeded for New York at 5:30 p.m. All well.
Belfast Morning News, Thursday, 27 February 1879
Patrick McNamara, age 30, laborer, arrived in New York on the steamer Republic on 8 March 1879. His nationality was reported as "United States" (actually a ditto from person above) which could be an error. Or possibly Patrick McNamara had returned to Ireland after obtaining U.S. citizenship, given his age of 30 years, this could be a definite possibility.

1879 passenger listing: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSK-65W8

Will the exiled Patrick McNamara from Thimbletown, Gortnamearacaun townland, Crusheen parish, ever be able to return to County Clare?

To be continued,

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:35 am

The first trial in March 1878 of Patrick McNamara for the murder of Patrick Kearney was very interesting in the large number of witnesses. In comparison, the moonlighting attacks of the 1880's appear to have had very few witnesses who were willing to come forward. This witness testimony at the trial of Patrick McNamara provides an interesting insight into daily life in Crusheen on the 15th of January 1878.

One witness, Patrick Halloran, was "drawing the turf", which I believe was "drawing home the turf" and he had made seven loads on the 15th of January. Patrick McNamara was noted to have been "drawing bog mould"; not sure what this activity entailed as a google search of "bog mould" had zero results.

Even more surprising on the morning of the 15th of January, was that Mrs. Mary Kearney had given her husband, Patrick Kearney, ten shillings to go buy scallops. This was quite odd as I never considered that the Irish diet in the late 19th century would be so varied. But after a quick google search, scallops are indeed in season during winter along the Irish coast, so why shouldn't Mrs. Kearney send her husband for fresh scallops for her dinner?

A further search of "scallops" on the Clare Library website, led to the article "Gruesome Murder in Crusheen" and the Coroner's Inquest of January 1878 for "Patrick Carney" who "left home that morning with a horse and common car for the purpose of bringing back some scallops which he had bought of a man in the neighbourhood":

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... uesome.htm

The above inquest provided an interesting clue that Mrs. Mary Kearney was the second wife of the murdered Patrick Kearney and that she was a McNamara. The first trial stated that Patrick Kearney's nephew had married the sister of the accused Patrick McNamara. But failed to mention that the accused Patrick McNamara was also the nephew of Mrs. Mary Kearney, the second wife of the murdered Patrick Kearney. So when Patrick Kearney had a change of heart about giving any land to his own nephew (Michael Kearney married to a McNamara), his second wife, a McNamara, might be equally upset at him. And who was it that sent Patrick Kearney out that morning to buy the scallops —it was Mrs. Mary McNamara Kearney.

But perhaps this is not as fishy as I'm making it out to be. After considering this for several days, I read the testimony from the second trial at the Summer Assizes, and I learned that Mrs. Kearning gave her husband "ten shillings to buy scallops to repair their thatched roof". Not to buy scallops, the shellfish! This does explain why Patrick Kearney went out with a horse and car to pick up the scallops. I'm not sure how many of the modern Irish people reading this, who no longer live in thatched cottages in Ireland, would have caught my mistake in interpretation which would have been so obvious for a 19th century reader.

Here are some great videos on "Scallops and Thatching" in four parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSm7f7Be7x4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLaN9goyiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rax5GdM2l0w&t=156s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4Kye9KpM8

"Patrick Mack" and two of his sisters, Mary and Anne Mack, can be found living in Jackson County, Michigan in the 1880 federal census. The two sisters would return home to spend the 1884/1885 winter in County Clare. Annie McNamara married John Galvin in 1888 in Jackson, Michigan and moved to Chicago. Mary McNamara returned to Ireland in 1890 to take care of her parents. Patrick McNamara married Kate Mahar in 1888 in Jackson, Michigan. His wife died in 1920. The Patrick and Kate McNamara headstone is located at St. John's Cemetery in Jackson, Michigan:

Kate and Patrick McNamara headstone at St John's cemetery in Jackson, Michigan.jpg
Kate and Patrick McNamara headstone at St John's cemetery in Jackson, Michigan.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 70017 times

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/197 ... e-mcnamara
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/197 ... k-mcnamara

The McNamara headstone states "Kate, 1849 - 1919". The headstone was likely commissioned by Patrick McNamara a few years after his wife's death, perhaps explaining the discrepancy in her year of death. "Patrick, 1847 - 19 " would indicate that the exiled Patrick McNamara, sadly, never made it back to Gortnamearacaun, County Clare. Slightly disappointing that his sister, Anne McNamara Galvin, in nearby Chicago, did not make arrangements to have Patrick's headstone updated with his year of death.

But despite the headstone at St. John's cemetery in Jackson, was Patrick McNamara actually buried there? There is no civil death record in the Michigan state archives or obituary discovered in the local Jackson newspapers? Do you know why so? This is because, in fact, the exiled Patrick McNamara returned to Ireland in 1923.

John McNamara of Crusheen / Gortnamearacaun townland in Inchicronan Civil Parish and Crusheen Catholic Parish

John McNamara of Crusheen was reported as the father of the widow Mary McNamara at her 1865 marriage to Patrick Kearney at the age of 50 years. The only evidence of this John McNamara's existence. This Mary McNamara was the brother of John McNamara who was born about 1804. So John McNamara, Sr., might have been born around, say 1794 at the latest, probably much earlier.

A John McNamara died in the second quarter of 1868, at the age of 80; Ennis civil registration not yet available on-line. Two other men named John McNamara died in the second quarter of 1870, at the age of 76; and in the first quarter of 1864 at the age of 75; Ennis civil registration not yet available on-line.

1.0 John McNamara (≈1804 - 1899) and Mary Moloney (≈1817 - 1906)

In 1855 Griffith Valuation for Gortnamearaun townland in Inchicronan Parish, John McNamara held Plot4a; house, office, & land; valuation £4 and 10 shillings; lessor Lord Fitzgerald. The 227 acres of Plot 4 were shared between seven co-tenants: at Plot 4b (Matthew Halloran), Plot 4c (Patrick Grady), Plot 4d (John Nestor), Plot 4e (Michael Donnellan, son of Andrew), Plot 4f (Patrick Keehan, Plot 4g (Michael Donnellan, son of Patrick).

On the corresponding map on askaboutireland, the cluster of houses at Plot 4 at Gortnamearaun states "Thimbletown". From the satellite view of the modern map, possibly only house 4e remains as a farm building, and likely a few stone traces of the others if you had a walk around the area.

John McNamara, of Gortnamearacaun, age 95 years, married, farmer, died on 16 August 1899; informant, daughter, Mary Hanrahan of Gortnamearacaun (Tulla registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 636453.pdf

Mary Moloney McNamara was living with her daughter, Mary Hanrahan, in the 1901 census. <Gortnamearacaun, Caher, House 1; x> Mary McNamara, of Gurthnamearacaun, age 89 years, widow, wife of a farmer, died on 6 September 1906; informant, daughter, Mary Hanrahan of Gurthnamearacaun (Tulla registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 555170.pdf

John McNamara (≈1804 - 1899) and Mary Moloney (≈1817 - 1906) were the parents of at least five children:

............ 1.1 Patrick McNamara (≈1849 - 1931)

Patrick McNamara was tried and acquitted three times in 1878 for the murder of Patrick Kearney of Ahish in Inchicronan Parish (see proceedings at prior posting). He was released in early 1879 with the stipulation that he leave for America and not return to Ireland.

Patrick Mack, age 30, born in Ireland, was a farm laborer, in Columbia Township, Jackson County, Michigan in the 1880 census.

1880 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWSX-M9Q

In the 1885 Jackson City directory, Patrick Mack was a laborer boarding at 609 Cooper in Jackson.

On 2 June 1888, Patrick McNamara, age 34, born in Ireland; father, John McNamara; mother, Mary Maloney, married Kate Mahar, age 30, born in Ireland; father, John Mahar; mother Kate Hannan, in Jackson, Michigan (per MI marriage records, 1867-1952).

1888 Michigan civil marriage register: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N3NF-N2N
Mrs. John G. Galvin [Annie McNamara], of Pullman, Ill., is visiting her brother, P. McNamara.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 3 October 1889
Patrick and Kate McNamara were living at 709 Chicago Street in Jackson, Michigan for each of the 1900, 1910, and 1920 federal census reports.
Mrs. Catherine Mack, aged 75, died at her home, 709 Chicago street, Saturday evening. Funeral announcement later.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Michigan, Monday, 4 October 1920.
"Catherine Mack" died on 2 October 1920, age 75, in Jackson, Michigan, father "John Mahar" (transcribed incorrectly as "John Mack"), mother "unknown". Per Michigan civil death records (1867-1952) on ancestry website (can't find on FamilySearch).

Patrick McNamara, age 76, labourer, citizenship U.S.A, arrived on the White Star line SS Cedric at Queenstown on 30 December 1923 (UK and Ireland Incoming Passenger Lists). His destination was "Ballonruid, Co. Clare", which is obviously "Ballinruan" in Inchicronan parish. Patrick McNamara, after a 44 year long absence, was arriving in the Irish Free State where his 1879 agreement with the British Crown forbidding his return to Ireland would no longer have any legal standing whatsoever.

When the 1926 Irish Census becomes available, Patrick McNamara will likely be found in Ballinruan or Knocknamaericuan townlands living with his sister, Mary Hanrahan (≈1856 - 1940). Patrick McNamara, widower, age 85 years, laborer, died on 5 August 1931 at Ballinruan; informant, niece, Mary Hanrahan of Ballinruan (Scarriff civil registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 325307.pdf

............ 1.2 Elizabeth McNamara (≈1855 - unknown)

"Eliza Mack", age 17, of Gortnamearacaun, daughter of farmer John Mack, married Michael Carney, age 20, farmer, of Cahir, son of farmer Thomas Carney, on 18 February 1873 at Crusheen Catholic chapel by the parish priest Peter Meade; witnesses Michael Nestor, and Mary Noon.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208224.pdf

From the second trial of Patrick McNamara for the murder of Patrick Kearney, Sergeant Sherlock testified:
Kearney was on good terms with everyone except with the prisoner and his family, amongst whom, a few months before the murder, some differences arose. Kearney's nephew [Michael Kearney] had married a sister [Eliza McNamara] of the prisoner [Patrick McNamara], and he (Sergeant Sherlock) understood that upon the occasion of marriage, when matters were being arranged, as they generally are among the humbler classes of farmers, promises were held out by Kearney as to giving his nephew some portion of land, or some assistance in the shape of money, which were not realized. Amongst families of this class one required more than the other was inclined to give. This was the only grudge the prisoner had against this old man, against whom he had been known to speak on two or three occasions as one of whom he would be ultimately revenged.
Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 12 July 1878
Michael Kearney (or Carney) and Elizabeth McNamara (or Mack) don't appear to have had any children; none appear in the Crusheen baptism register, typed in family order, from 1860 to 1900 available on ancestry. Could not locate a civil death record for Elizabeth Kearney and her later whereabouts are a mystery.

A Michael Kearney, "age 70", widower, was a farm servant in the household of Patrick Walsh in Ballinruan in the 1901 census. <Ballinruan, Caher, House 11; x> A Michael Kearney, "87 years", widower, labourer, from Ballinruan, died at Tulla Workhouse on 12 January 1907; informant Michael Molony, occupier Tulla Workhouse (Tulla registration). Upon further consideration, this Michael Kearney would have been too old to have been the 20 year old who married Eliza McNamara in 1873.

............ 1.3 Mary McNamara (≈1856 - 1940)

In the 1880 federal census of Jackson, Michigan, "Mack, Mary", age 26, born in Ireland, was a live-in domestic servant in the household of Hiram Smith (age 71, "capitalist, born in NY) at 410 East Avenue. Her fellow domestic servant, reported erroneously as "-----------, Mack" (or Mack, Mack), age 21, born in Ireland, was surely her younger sister "Annie Mack".

1880 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWSF-XTB
* Misses Anna and Mary McNamara departed, yesterday, for Queenstown, Ireland, to spend the winter. They will return next year.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 17 October 1884
Mary McNamara (age 28) and Annie McNamara (age 22) arrived in New York on 22 May 1885 on the ship British King.

1885 passenger list: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSV-WDCW
* Miss Mary McNamara departed to-day for Pullman, Ill., to spend some months visiting her sister, Mrs. John J. Galvin.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 12 March 1889
* Miss Mary McNamara will sail for Ireland, June 25th, to visit her parents, on the Teutonic.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 16 June 1890
* John J. Galvin and wife, of Pullman, Ill., have presented Mary McNamara with a gold watch. Mrs. Galvin is in the city.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 21 June 1890
Mary McNamara, residence Gortnamearacaun, daughter of farmer John McNamara, married Patrick Hanrahan, of Ahish, son of farmer Michael Hanrahan, on 28 January 1893 at the Catholic chapel at Meelick by the parish priest John Howard; witnesses John Keehan and Mary Hanrahan.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 858713.pdf

Patrick and Mary Hanrahan lived in Gortnamearacuan with their two children. <Gortnamearacaun, Caher, House 1; House 4> Their ages were both 40 in the 1901 census; but the 1911 census reflecting that Mary (age 59) was 11 years older than her husband Patrick (age 48) was likely more accurate. This age difference was also reflected in their civil death records.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1087402/

Patrick Hanrahan, age 62, married, of Knockmael, died on 7 December 1937; informant son, John Hanrahan of Knockmael. Mary Hanrahan, age 84, widow, of Gurtnamearacaun, died on 15 March 1940; informant son, John Hanrahan, of Gurtnamearacaun.

............................. 1.3.1 Mary "Mamie" Hanrahan (age 7 in 1901) <Gortnamearacaun, Caher, House 1; House 4> Mary Hanrahan was the informant on the death record for her uncle, Patrick McNamara, in 1931.
............................. 1.3.2 Patrick "John" Hanrahan (age 6 in 1901) <Gortnamearacaun, Caher, House 1; House 4> "John Hanrahan" was the informant on the death records for both his parents.

............ 1.4 Anne McNamara (≈1858 - 1938)

In the 1880 census of Jackson, Michigan, Anne appears to have been a domestic servant in household of Hiram Smith, along with her sister, "Mack, Mary". The census taker reported her as "-----------, Mack", age 21, or "Mack, Mack". But the sisters would both later return to Ireland in 1884 which provides evidence that the incorrect census entry was indeed Annie McNamara.
* Misses Anna and Mary McNamara departed, yesterday, for Queenstown, Ireland, to spend the winter. They will return next year.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 17 October 1884
Mary McNamara (age 28) and Annie McNamara (age 22) arrived in New York on 22 May 1885 on the ship British King.
—Miss Anna McNamara, of this city, and John Galvin, of Chicago, were united in marriage, this morning at 9 o'clock, by Rev. Fr. Malaney, in St. Mary's church, at which ceremony a nuptial high mass was celebrated. The wedding banquet and reception took place at the residence of Mrs. Newton Eastman, and Mr. and Mrs. Galvin departed on an afternoon train for their new home in Chicago.
Jackson Citizen Patriot, Jackson, Michigan, 23 May 1888
According to Michigan civil marriage records, 1867 - 1952, "Annie McNemar", "age 25", born in Ireland; father, "John McNemar"; mother, "Mary Maloney"; was married to John J. Galvin, age 24, born in Ireland; father "Lawrence Galvin"; mother, "Mary Dunican", in Jackson, Michigan on 22 May 1888.

1888 Michigan civil marriage register: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N3NF-NGV

The Galvin family was living in Worth, Cook County, Illinois between 1900 and 1920. In 1930, the widow Anna Galvin (age 64) was living with two of her children at 8035 Bishop Street in the South Side of Chicago, a 10 minute walk from St. Sabina Catholic Church.

............................. 1.4.1 Mary "Mame" Galvin (age 10 in 1900) married to John J. Ryan.
............................. 1.4.2 Annie Galvin (age 8 in 1900) married to John Kelly, died 1933.
............................. 1.4.3 John P. Galvin (age 6 in 1900), living with mother in 1930, died 5 November 1937 in Chicago.
............................. 1.4.4 Lizzie "Lillian" Galvin (age 4 in 1900) married to Fred Miller.
............................. 1.4.5 Maryanne Galvin (age 2 in 1900) died prior to 1910 census.
............................. 1.4.6 Margaret "Anne" Galvin (age 0 in 1900) married to Robert Sharp, both living with mother in 1930 census.
............................. 1.4.7 Infant Galvin, (parents of 7 children, 6 surviving in 1900), died on 26 December 1899 at a few days old.

Anne McNamara Galvin died in Birmingham, Alabama on 16 December 1938 (per Alabama Death Index, 1881-1974). She may have been visiting relatives (a McNamara sibling?) as her Chicago obituary requested that Birmingham, Alabama papers copy.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JDTR-HZN
GALVIN—Anna Galvin [nee McNamara], beloved wife of the late John. J., fond mother of Mrs. Mary Ryan, Mrs. Lillian Miller, Mrs. Robert Sharp, and the late Mrs. Anna Kelly and John P. Galvin. Funeral Monday from chapel, 1138 W. 79th street, at 9 a.m., to St. Sabina church. Interment Mount Olivet. Birmingham, Alabama, papers copy.
Chicago Tribune, Illinois, 18 December 1938
No headstone photo, but includes photo of Anne McNamara, likely a wedding photo:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/240 ... mae-galvin

............ 1.5 Martin McNamara (≈1863 - unknown), was baptized on 24 February 1863, residence Gortnamearacaun townland, at Crusheen Catholic parish; sponsors John Hanrahan and Bridget Keefe. This is the only baptism entry for parents John McNamara and Mary Moloney in the Crusheen baptism register which starts in 1860.

Later whereabouts of Martin McNamara are a mystery. If Martin died as an infant, it may have been prior to the start of 1864 civil death records. A 20 year old Martin McNamara arrived in New York on the SS Brittanic on 17 September 1883, but these early pre-Ellis Island records have no detail to identify his specific Irish origins.

2.0 Mary McNamara (≈1815 - unknown, after 1879)

The first marriage of Mary McNamara is unknown.

Mary McNamara, widow, age 50, servant, residence Crusheen, daughter of laborer John McNamara, married "Patrick Carney", widower, age 56, tailor, residence Ahish [Caher townland], son of Patrick Carney, on 10 January 1865 at Crusheen Catholic chapel, by the parish priest Edward O'Shaughnessy; witnesses Richard Curtin and Margaret McMahon (Ennis civil registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 254841.pdf

Patrick "Carney" Kearney (≈1809 - 1878), was murdered at Knockmeal on 15 January 1878; he had been given 10 shillings by his wife to buy scallops to repair their thatched roof. Later whereabouts of Mary McNamara Kearney are unknown.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JDTR-HZN

During the summer and spring 1878 assizes at the three trials of Patrick McNamara for the murder of Patrick Kearney, a laborer named Thomas Heffernan was the star witness and the only one who was able to positively identify Patrick McNamara of Gortnamaericuan as the mysterious flannel waistcoat wearing man who was running away from the scene of the crime.

Thomas Heffernan, of Gurthaniska, "age 50", single, laborer, son of labourer John Heffernan, married Ellen Mullins, of Ballinruan, "age 30", single, daughter of labourer Patt Mullins on 3 February 1872 at the Catholic chapel at Crusheen by the curate Martin Meagher; witnesses John Fitzgibbon and Mary McEnery. There are no Heffernan children (of any Heffernan father) reported in the Crusheen baptism register of 1860-1900.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 145685.pdf

Thomas Heffernan (≈1817 - 1887) was likely the younger brother of Cornelius Heffernan (≈1809 - 1874), the tenant at Plot 32a (small garden, 2 shillings, lessor Patrick Reynolds) and Plot 32b (house and office, 10 shillings, lessor Austin Butler) of Gortaniska townland in Inchicronan parish in the 1855 Griffith Valuation. Connor Heffernan, of Gurtaniska, widower, age 65, labourer, died on 15 April 1874; informant Thomas Heffernan present at death Gurtaniska.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 248434.pdf

Thomas Heffernan (≈1817 - 1887), a married farmer of Gortaniska, age 70, died on 28 February 1887, informant was Ellen Heffernan (≈1825 - 1900). Ellen Heffernan, a widow of a labourer, from Gortaniska, age 75, died at the Ennis Workhouse on 3 September 1900; informant Thomas O'Gloghlen of the workhouse.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 779852.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 623946.pdf

From their small Griffith Valuation holding as well as "labourer" status reported on civil records, the Heffernan's of Gortaniska were likely poorer than their neighbors who were farmers. Thomas Heffernan's testimony in 1878 against Patrick McNamara may have had repercussions. The Crusheen petty session register of 24 October 1878 stated, "That the Defendant [Patrick Littleton of Gurtaniska] did wilfully and maliciously throw down the Complainants [Thomas Heffernan of Gurtaniska] pig cabbin at Gortaniska on the 1st day of October 1878."

In 1878 with his testimony at the trials of Patrick McNamara, might Thomas Heffernan of Crusheen having been settling an old score over a land dispute from decades prior?

And in the 1851 Irish Census, why was Margaret Heffernan, identified as a 14-year-old cousin, living with the family of Patrick and Anne McNamara of Knockreddan, Crusheen?

To be continued,

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:32 pm

Hi Jimbo

Thank you for your research on the Knockreddan McNamaras and for the story of Patrick McNamara, of Gortnamearacaun.

About the poem by Miss Miller: Thomas Coffey includes it in his book, The Parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen), in a chapter entitled “Poems and Songs about Inchicronan” (p 155), but does not give any clue as to who Miss Miller is. Here is another poem from the same chapter. Again there is no clue as to who James McNamara is, and the poem is entitled “An Old Song”, but how old is “old”?

An Old Song

One morning in December just as the break of day,
I took out my old push-bicycle and to Kilkeedy made my way,
I was a stranger to that place but soon it was made known,
To all the boys for miles around the vales of Derryowen.

I started from Rathclooney, ‘tis the place of my abode,
I passed by Carney’s Castle beside the Crusheen road,
Tho’ covered now with ivy ‘tis a place you can’t disown,
You can see it towering in the air from the hills of Derryowen.

The Island Lake I then passed by near the village of Crusheen,
A more romantic scenery my eyes have never seen,
With its sacred dells and wooded glens where St Cronan used to roam,
This is a place of bliss and happiness like the vales of Derryowen.

I viewed the lovely scenery round the parish of Crusheen,
From Garlic Hill to Buttertown and that beauty spot, Clooneen,
My mind was full of rapture as I cycled all alone,
Until I came to Tubber Village beside you, Derryowen.

James McNamara.

The Parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen), by Thomas Coffey (1993)

I’ve been trying to figure out who this James McNamara might be. A James McNamara, aged 40, was living in Rathclooney at the time of the 1901 census, along with his niece, Catherine Hehir, aged 18: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... y/1087100/
He married Sarah Moloney, a widow, whose maiden name was Sarah O’Donohue, in 1903: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 729903.pdf. The record of the marriage gives his father’s name as Michael McNamara.
James died in 1917. The record gives his age as 74, which, if correct, would mean that he was born about 1843. But there are so many Michael McNamaras in the Quin-Clooney parish baptisms, 1816-1855, it is impossible to decide which one James belongs to. I looked at the Quin-Clooney marriages, 1855-1880, and saw that an Honor McNamara, Rathclooney, had married a Patt Hehir, Derrymore, in Oct 1867. The civil record shows that Honor was the daughter of a Michael McNamara: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 235047.pdf. Derrymore townland is in the parish of Inchcronan (Crusheen), and two of the baptisms of children of Patt Hehir and Honor McNamara are recorded in the Crusheen baptisms 1860-1880, but not that of Catherine Hehir who was aged 18 in 1901.
The 1901 census does not show Hehirs living in Derrymore, but there’s a Patrick Hehir, aged 60, and wife, Norah, aged 50, living in Derryvett (Tuberbreeda DED), adjacent to Derrymore, with their children, Michael aged 29, and Susan aged 18: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... t/1087188/
The 1911 census shows another daughter, Kate, aged 25, who, I think, may be the Catherine, aged 18, who was living at the house of James McNamara in 1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... tt/370312/
But, having found all of the above, is it possible that James McNamara, whose real age in 1901 was probably about 58, took out his “old push-bicycle” and cycled from Rathclooney to Derryowen in Kilkeedy parish? Surely it is very doubtful.

Sheila

pmac7186@gmail.com

Post by pmac7186@gmail.com » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:37 pm

Hi All! I have a little egg on my face. For number of reasons I just picked up again and started reading the Forum. Much to my surprise I have realized that you continued your research on Patrick of Oil City. This discussion is from last August, pg 40 and 41 of this Forum.

I have a marriage cert from July 1870 with Patrick’s X as his mark.

James Martin, my Great Grandfather, was in July 1871 to Patrick and Emily. He was baptized at St Bridgets in the 4th Ward in Cleveland. Reverend Father Kelly was the priest. Sponsor was a Grady. They were living on Plum Street.

John Edmund was born in September 1872 in the 13th ward. They were living on Brayton Street.

The Micheal Mc and Bridget Darcy family in Cleveland is familiar with me since I started researching that family since they had a Patrick born in 1845. Using the Cleveland City directories you can see this Patrick’s progression from working in the shoe factory to being a cutter finally to become a shoemaker. This doesn’t mean that this McNamara family isn’t a relative. I have traced this family back to Ireland with relative certainty.

Thank you all - you are the BEST!

Michigan Paul

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:36 am

Paul of Michigan,

I have been staying on the sidelines while Jimbo and Sheila have provided their input into your knotty dilemma of how your Patrick McNamara fit into the Cleveland McNamara families of the 1870s. You are now indicating that you cut out of that discussion before it ended back about page 41 of this thread. However you are expressing appreciating for that effort. From my reading of that past discussion and viewing your online tree at Family Search, it seems you are still "out at sea" in terms of assembling proof of your Patrick's Irish origin. Having once been in those straits myself, maybe my comments can be useful for your quest.

You are depending on what you call a Bible registry, for which you have provided a transcription of the part referring to Co. Clare. We on the Forum have not seen this item. It is essential that someone, other than yourself, actually view the Bible entry and form a second opinion as to what it says and who wrote those words in what time period. That item is meaningless for discussion until then. I have seen family historians mistakenly focus on Co. Clare when another Irish location is actually involved, some other county. At this point, I see nothing in 1870s Cleveland that shows your Patrick of the Tremont neighborhood was related to any other McNamara in the city, such as the Michael-Bridget family of the West Side. Your FS tree indicates you have nothing for the 1860s except 20th-century census references to an early-1860s immigration. As you know, you need to fill in that gap in time. The problem is your Patrick led a quiet, industrious life which eventually resulted in his leaving Cleveland for Oil City PA, where his quiet, industrious life style likewise "flew under the radar" of typical genealogical resources of the online type.

My best advice is to dig deeper into the Cleveland years, beyond what Ancestry.com and FamilySearch have on tap. I don't know where you obtained baptismal information for Patrick's Cleveland-born children, but be sure to actually see the church register so that you have every bit of writing in each entry (sometimes there are side notes not transcribed into a database). Explore why the baptismal sponsors were selected. Also, do your best to get the most complete version possible of your Patrick's naturalization records. His censuses indicate he became a citizen, and that typically was done at age 21 or mid 20s, prior to marriage. There are naturalization records of some type for a Patrick McNamara on 10/10/1865 (Probate Court vol. 3 p.124) and on 3/28/1867 (Probate Court vol.3 p. 263). Make those records a high priority and see where the resulting data leads you. Talking with the Cleveland Public Library's reference staff might identify additional resources for that time period; ditto perhaps the local history and genealogy societies.

I wish you well. I personally don't think your Patrick is from northeast Clare, but I reserve judgment on that until the full breadth of records is available.

pmac7186@gmail.com

Post by pmac7186@gmail.com » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:40 pm

Smcarberry,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have maintained my tree in Ancestry with the links to sources and images. Why Ancestry for no other reason that where I started.

I do have a tree in Family Search. https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/GMDF-L7Q

I just updated the “Memory Section” to include The following:

- Bible Registry - This includes addresses where James and John were born.
- James Martin (b1870) Birth Record from St Bridgit’s - from Cleveland Arch Diocese.
- Note on John Edmund’s Baptism priest that shows he ends up in Oil City.
- There is also a local article about Pat and Emily’s 50 Wedding Anniversary.

I have also gone the DNA route with less than satisfactory results. There are just not enough DNA samples to get anything meaningful. Lack of results in the Y testing can indicate that this line died out relatively quickly. We believe that Patrick emigrated alone. My brother has asked my parents generation talking to my Uncle Tom McNamara (b1932). There is no family lore about any parents or siblings. I have tried to get additional source material from cousins without much luck. My G Grandfather James Martin”s, (b1871) brother John Edmund (b1872) had 11 children thus it has been easy to find his descendants. Linda Neuberg, a great granddaughter of John, has posted everything she has. I have corresponded and talked with Linda.

For now all I have is from the registry, ‘Parish of Gland, County Clare’. Is it a stretch too far? Probably, but the fact is Patrick never went to school and his primary language is Irish. According to a number of sources, Pat couldn’t write his name. He didn’t leave much of a footprint from 1845 to 1870. It doesn’t look like he was in the Civil War. If he was it would have been included in the news article regarding their 50th wedding anniversary. There is no mention in either the Golden Wedding anniversary or his obituary. By 1870 he had started his career working in the oil business. Taking skills from Cleveland to Oil City. He worked 40 years for Oil Well Supply as a cooper, retiring as a foreman.

In 1910, Patrick and Emily’s son, John Edmund, moved to Highland Park Michigan. All of James Martin’s children eventually followed their Uncle John to Highland. My father, James Edwin was born in Highland Park in 1927. Emily Shanefelter McNamara died in 1912 essentially leaving her children orphaned while my G Grandfather moved to Springfield Mass to manage a hotel. My father said once about his grandfather, James Martin, that he was a drunk who could not hold a job.

I was really glad to see the info about Patrick Mahana since that was right before he married Emily in July.

Please. Look for me in Family Search since I have included additional ‘Memories” for your review.

Thank you I again,

Michigan Paul

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:06 am

Paul,

Your sincerity and willingness to discuss family dynamics are admirable. I already knew about the Springfield MA and Michigan aspects, because I had looked into those post-1870 years. I assure you that my advice was made after careful and full consideration of what you have on hand, i.e. what those post-1870 years can yield. I am not exploring anything more or engaging in any conversation on your search at this time. I repeat my view:
You are depending on what you call a Bible registry, for which you have provided a transcription of the part referring to Co. Clare. We on the Forum have not seen this item. It is essential that someone, other than yourself, actually view the Bible entry and form a second opinion as to what it says and who wrote those words in what time period. That item is meaningless for discussion until then.
Again, I wish you well but I am not going round in circles on this.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:58 am

Hi Paul,

I'm glad that you agree that "Pat Mahana" in the 1870 census was your great-great-grandfather. Thanks for providing the registry with "Parish of Gland, County Clare" on the FamilySearch website. As you are no doubt aware, it is still not possible to load attachments on the Clare Past Forum. My last posting with an attachment of the headstone photo of Patrick McNamara of Jackson, Michigan, may have used what little space was left (it had failed when a larger size). Unfortunately, based upon the timing this attachment may have crashed the forum for a few days.

The Bible registry (my grandmother kept something similar) you posted doesn't look terribly old, nor that new. It appears to have been written by one person in one sitting and has early 20th century entries. Was it written by Emily Rogers McNamara in the 1920's? Or later by someone else? According to your family tree, one son of Patrick McNamara, John E. McNamara, died in 1965. It would not be that unusual for whoever wrote the entries in the Bible to have some knowledge where their ancestors originated from. My grandmother knew the Irish counties (four separate ones) for both her husband's (my grandfather) grandparents as well as her own grandparents who were all born in Ireland in the 1830's and arrived to the USA as famine immigrants by 1850. After the TV mini-series Roots in 1977 grandparents across the USA were bombarded with questions by grandchildren who were given family tree assignments at school or even university. The fact that "Parish of Gland" was written versus "Glandree" is actually good as we know it was likely based upon family lore and not bogus genealogy research (such as the ancestry website's "suggestion" that Patrick was the son of Patt McNamara and Norry Murry baptized in Caher Feakle, March 1846).

There are now 35 family trees on ancestry for Patrick McNamara married to Emily Rogers. Many, including that of your cousin, have reported his parents as Michael and Bridget McNamara, as I had initially assumed. Paul, your last posting mentioned (as also reflected on several family trees) that Michael McNamara was married to Bridget Darcy. What is your evidence for this? The death records of two of their children state that their mother was Bridget Daffy and the two Irish born children of Michael McNamara and Bridget Daffy can be found in Ennis Parish records (see family tree on page 40).

One mystery is what happened to the Patrick McNamara who was living with his widowed mother, Bridget Daffy McNamara, in the 1870 census? He was a shoemaker and reported in the 1876 city directory for Cleveland. It would be good to provide evidence to dispute the many family trees which now incorrectly reflect his marriage to Emily Rogers in 1870.

Paul, it was interesting on the Bible registry that Emily Rogers was stated to have been born on 13 January 1848 in Norfolk, England. The birth in England is consistent with the USA census reports. Many of the numerous McNamara family trees, including your own, state that she was born in Suffolk, England, and provide an 1851 England census for Earl Scham, Suffolk as support. None appear to have made any attempt to disprove this "Suffolk" theory, which is quite easy to do. Emily Rogers was still in Earl Scham, Suffolk with her parents in the 1861 census, and a perfect age fit to be a domestic servant in a household in Earl Scham in the 1871 census. Your Emily Rogers married Patrick McNamara in July 1870 in Cleveland, but not one researcher was able to find her in the 1870 census — this should have been the starting point for your research.

I had a quick look for McNamara or Mack in the newspapers archives with the two addresses reported in the baptisms in Cleveland of the two sons of Patrick McNamara and Emily Rogers. No luck.

Paul, your great-great-grandfather Patrick McNamara, may not have had any siblings in Cleveland, but I reckon it's highly likely that he had perhaps an uncle or cousins living there. I doubt he just willy nilly decided to settle in Cleveland. Paul, two of your postings have mentioned "egg", including comparing your family search to a "ham and egg breakfast" and more recently as having "egg on your face". I can't help but think that this must be a clue or sign that you have some connection to the below McNamara's of Cleveland, Ohio:
—A small boy named Frank McNamara was arrested last night for amusing himself by firing tired eggs at a private residence.
The Cleveland Leader, 24 July 1880
Frank McNamara, residing at No. 89 Bond street, was arrested last night for throwing eggs at the residence of Mrs. Clancy, No. 87 Bond street.
The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio, 24 July 1880
This was Frank McNamara, the 14-year old son of Patrick J. McNamara who was living at 89 Bond Street in Cleveland in the 1880 census. P. J. McNamara was a carpenter and previously noted on my listing of all the men named Patrick McNamara living in Cleveland in the city directory (from page 40):
B) McNamara, P. builder, 103 Erie. In the 1871 directory, he was McNamara, Patrick J. carpenter, 103 Erie. In 1870, the census enumerator reported the family as "McNormia": Patrick, a builder was transcribed as "W C" (on ancestry) and "M C" (on FamilySearch), with real estate value of $40,000 and personal estate value of $3,000. The 1880 census was far more accurate for "Patinir J. McNamara". This family was quite wealthy and often were in the Cleveland newspapers:

PERSONAL. —Mr. P.J. McNamara has returned from a short visit to Ireland, greatly improved in health.
Daily Cleveland-Herald, Ohio, 17 November 1875

1870 census, "McNormia" : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6KK-P83
1880 census, "McNamara": https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ1T-4J9
Patrick McNamara married Catherine O'Neill on 11 April 1853 in Cleveland, license application on 2nd April, linked below. Unfortunately Cuyahoga County marriage records do not report the parents of bride and groom.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ZZT6-K52M

A very long and interesting article from 1896 entitled "The Irish Race in Cleveland" gave a good account of the Irish in Cleveland including separate paragraphs listing its Irish born by occupation. "William and John Given, William Murphy, Thomas Hynes, James and Patrick McNamara, and James Bradley were well known building contractors" (Plain Dealer, Cleveland, 23 August 1896).

A very good chance that James and Patrick McNamara were brothers. Here is James McNamara, occupation carpenter, and his family in the 1870 and 1880 census:

1870 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6K2-JPT
1880 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ1Y-DGQ

James "J L" McNamara was born in Ireland about 1838 according to the above census reports. James "McNamarin" married Margaret Brennan on 23 November 1857 in Cleveland:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZJ6-HHD

A James McNamara in Cleveland was heavily involved in the local Fenian organization in the 1860's:
Fenians, Attention!
The members of the Emmett Circle hold their next regular meeting on Wednesday evening, Feb. 5th, at 7½ o'clock, in their hall, south side of Public Square. This circle supports the cause of the "old land".

Ireland, in her agony, implores the assistance of all her true children.

JAMES McNAMARA, CENTER

Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio, 1 February 1868
A James McNamara, laborer, age 62, died of carbolic poisoning on 27 May 1899:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F62B-1XT

A family tree on FamilySearch states that this tragic death was James McNamara who was married to Margaret Brennan (most family trees on ancestry state that James died in 1905 in Ohio, but with no support, nor 1900 census). The newspaper accounts and census reports prove that the James McNamara who died in 1899 was not married to Margaret Brennan:
A FATAL MISTAKE:
John McNamara [should be James] Dies Suddenly From Taking a Drink of Carbolic Acid

Two similar bottles, one containing poison and one containing medicine, was the cause of another death Saturday afternoon, when James McNamara, of No. 30 Herschel street, died from the effects of taking carbolic acid through a mistake.

McNamara is a laborer and has been suffering from asthma for some time and his wife kept a bottle of his medicine on a shelf, and on the same shelf was a bottle of carbolic acid. McNamara was not feeling well and about 3:30 o'clock went to the shelf with the idea of taking a dose of medicine, instead of which he took the carbolic acid. At the time his wife was in the yard hanging up some washing. When she returned to the house her husband complained of feeling strange and asked her if the bottle from which he had taken two large draughts contained the medicine which he had been taking for his ailment. His wife at once recognized the mistake and ran for Dr. J.R. Smith, but by the time the doctor arrived the man was beyond his assistance, and in twenty minutes had expired. The coroner was notified and later viewed the remains. McNamara leaves a wife and two grown children [4 of 5 reported by widow in 1900].

Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio, 28 May 1899
Family of James and Mary McNamara (not James McNamara and Margaret Brennan):

1880 Census, "McManara" living at Cross Street: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ1T-QWW
1900 Census, widow Mary living at "Herrschel" street: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MMZZ-24M

Patrick J. McNamara (≈1826 - 1886), the carpenter (with no known or even presumed connection to the James McNamara who died of carbolic poisoning), died in Cleveland in 1886 also under mysterious circumstances:
FROM THE POTTER'S FIELD
A Body Disinterred and Found to be That of a Man Missing Since Last Winter

On Monday morning a body was disinterred from the potter's field in Woodland Cemetery and recognized as that of Patrick McNamara. McNamara was originally a carpenter, and later a contractor. He became irregular in his habits, and during last winter mysteriously disappeared. His family inquired for him in vain, and until Monday did not know whether he was living or dead. Last May the body of a man was picked up in the lake near the foot of Case avenue. It had evidently been in the water for two months. No one was able to identify it, and it was buried in potter's field. After investigating in all quarters the sons of McNamara, one of whom is a member of the fire department, became suspicious that the unknown man was their father. They made inquiries of the undertaker who took charge of the remains, and interviewed the cemetery officials. To satisfy their doubts the body was disinterred Monday morning. Although the face was almost unrecognizable, the sons became convinced beyond a doubt that it was their father's. The grave was closed up, the body taken to the Catholic Cemetery on Woodland avenue [St. Joseph's Cemetery founded in 1848], and buried in the family lot.

Cleveland Leader, 28 July 1886
Patrick J. McNamara was a veteran of the American Civil War. The "Grave Registration Card" (source: fold3) of Cuyahoga County stated that Patrick had enlisted on 30 May 1861 with Company H of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry, rank of private, and "Transferred to V.R.C. on 9-6-1863". Other military records specify that Patrick enlisted with Company H of the 24th Infantry on 30 May 1861 at the age of 38 (born about 1823). Patrick McNamara was born about 1826 in "County Clair, Ireland". His date of death was reported as 26 May 1886; cause of death, "Drowned in Lake". The "Grave Registration Card" states the exact location of burial at Woodland Cemetery: Lot No: Tier 2; Block No: C-2; Grave No: 61; "no marker". It does not mention that the body was transferred to the Catholic cemetery.

However, the "Woodland Cemetery" database has the same detailed location for initial burial, but the remarks state "Soldier; infirmary order; moved to Catholic Cemetery 7/26/1886".

http://www.wcfcle.org/interment/wcfiis_ ... 88&a=C&t=N

Catherine O'Neill McNamara (1838-1914) has a "memorial", no headstone photo, on the findagrave website at St. Joseph's cemetery. Her husband, Patrick McNamara, has a "memorial" at Woodland Cemetery for his initial burial in May 1886:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/175 ... e-mcnamara
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/128 ... p-mcnamara

Paul, thanks again for providing the Bible registry on Family Search. Whether it was written in 1900 or 1950, the "Parish of Gland, County Clare" is an important clue. The Cleveland carpenters, James and Patrick McNamara, possibly brothers, may not have any family connection to your great-great-grandfather, Patrick McNamara, but it would be interesting to know where in County Clare they were from.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:07 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for posting another poem that referred to Crusheen.

The Australian poet Marion Miller Knowles (1865 - 1949) has a biography on wikipedia. She was born in Australia, so the poem "Crusheen" about leaving Ireland has a fair bit of "poetic license". I suspect that Knowles had no connection to Crusheen but chose this location for her imaginary birthplace as it would be easy to find a rhyme. Her poem, especially the line "my heart is with the shamrocks that are shining in Crusheen", could be described as "sticky sentimental Oirish".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Knowles

The "Old Song" written by James McNamara of Rathclooney appears twice in the School's Collection. From Drumbaniffe, Crusheen, at the end of the song was written, "Composed by James McNamara, Rathclooney, Quin, Clare".

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5177632/5174568
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0593, Page 097

From Ennis school, it was reported as a "A Song", but no mention of who was the author.

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922347/4872589
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0609, Page 266

When was the song written? James McNamara died in 1917. The term "push-bicycle" or "push-bike" didn't come into use until around 1910, so the "Old Song" was written sometime between 1910 and 1917. This is assuming the lyrics were not changed over time. Similar to the poem by Marion Knowles who never left Crusheen or Ireland for Australia, I believe James McNamara used "poetic license" with his lyrics. "The one morning in December" was referring to a bike journey when he was a young man.

I researched James McNamara of Rathclooney for any clues that he might have been a poet or song writer.

James McNamara of "Rathcloony" appears to have obtained his first dog license in 1890 at Crusheen, for a red & white terrier. In later dog license registrations he was reported as living at "Rathclooney". In 1892, along with James McNamara, a Patrick McNamara of Rathclooney obtained licenses for two dogs. Per Ireland Dog License Registrations, 1810-1926.

James McNamara of "Rathcloony" (or Rathclooney) only appears once in the Ennis Petty Sessions. He was drunk on a public street in Ennis on 27 December 1889, and in lieu of paying the fine, he received seven days of hard labour at Limerick Prison.

A Michael McNamara, of Rathclooney, appears several times in the Petty Sessions, and I reckon the below charge relates to the father of James McNamara of Rathclooney who penned "An Old Song".
That the defendant [Michael McNamara] had in his possession in his dwelling house at Rathclooney on the 16th of March last [1861], a quantity of illicit spirits and that said Defendant's house is under the repute of being a shebeen house and not duly licensed for the sale of spirits.

Crusheen Petty Sessions, 18 April 1861
John Clune of Rathclooney was a defendant with the same charge and reported just below Michael McNamara. Both charges were dismissed.

Since James McNamara appears to have grown up in a shebeen house in Rathclooney, filled with music and song, it is easy to picture him having penned the "old song" about his "push bike" journey from Rathclooney to Derryowen.

Sheila, you had provided the Crusheen baptism records (1860-1880) for the children of Pat Hehir and Honor McNamara. The ancestry website has baptism records, typed and sorted by family, for the period 1860 to 1900, with no townland locations or baptism sponsors, which I've outlined below. Pat Hehir and Honor Mack did have a daughter, Catherine Anne, in 1884, who was living with her uncle, James McNamara, in the 1901 census. I could not find her civil birth record in 1884 or 1885, but the surname "Hehir" is likely very easy to transcribe incorrectly.

Pat Hehir and Honor McNamara were parents of Michael (8 Sept 1868) and Mary (6 March 1870). Pat Hehir and Honor Mack were the parents of Honor (18 June 1876), Honora (9 June 1880), Pat (12 Sept 1882), and "Cath Anne ?" on 13 Oct 1884. (Source, Crusheen baptism summary, 1860-1900).

Sheila, your research was interesting in that Pat Hehir and Honor McNamara were living in Derryvett (Tuberbreeda DED). When James McNamara made his journey by push-bike, was he on his way to visit his sister, Honor McNamara Hehir? And why does "An Old Song" end so abruptly? McNamara appears to have been very happy cycling along, but there is no explanation as to why his happiness ended when he arrived at Tubber Village?

My mind was full of rapture as I cycled all alone,
Until I came to Tubber Village beside you, Derryowen.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:53 am

Hi Jimbo

Thank you very much for that reply to my posting on “An Old Song,” by James McNamara. I did not expect anyone to give it so much attention. Sometimes I post some information that I’ve found along the way thinking that it might be of interest to someone some day, and not wanting the work I’ve done, little though it might be, to go to waste.

Yes, I think you are right when you say that Marion Miller Knowles may not have had any connection to Crusheen.
And I was interested to read that Michael McNamara, of Rathclooney, had a shebeen. I agree that growing up in a shebeen explains James McNamara’s ability to launch into song with ease. I suspect that the song was written in one sitting and that no great care was taken with it. I don’t think his rapture ended at Tubber village – I think it was just that feeling of joy that he felt as he cycled along. There is a special kind of joy that one feels on leaving routine behind and setting out on a journey; John Masefield, expresses it well in the opening lines of “TheTewksbury Road”:
"It is good to be out on the road, and going one knows not where,
Going through meadow and village, one knows not whither or why;
Through the grey light drift of the dust, in the keen cool rush of the air,
Under the flying white clouds, and the broad blue lift of the sky."

I think James McNamara was expressing the same feeling in his own way.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Jimbo,

You have found more than can be reasonably expected regarding the Knockreddan McNamaras, but this is just another crumb you might like to add in: Patrick McNamara, who returned to Knockreddan and was a householder there in 1911, aged 54, died in 1947, having attained the great old age of 97. The informant is James O’Brien, a cousin, and this suggests to me that there were no brothers of Patrick, and no McNamara nephews remaining in Ireland. I think you are right in thinking that his brother, Daniel and Daniel’s wife, Eliza Houlihan, had emigrated:
10 Feb 1947, Knockreddan: Death of Patrick McNamara, widower, aged 97; informant: James O’Brien, Knockreddan, cousin, present at death: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 213924.pdf
Patrick is described as a widower, so I looked for a marriage record that would fit. This one is a possibility: 4 Mar 1919: Marriage of Patrick McNamara, aged 57, Farmer, Crusheen Parish, son of Patrick McNamara, Farmer, to Minnie Clancy, Doora Parish, daughter of Martin Clancy, Farmer, in Doora church; witnesses: John McAllen, Norah McCormack: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 505890.pdf
Minnie Clancy was Mary Clancy in 1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1070580/
However, I failed to find a record of the death of a Mary McNamara, from Knockreddan, among the deaths registered in Scarriff between 1917 and 1947.
And, like you, I failed to find a record of the death of Patrick McNamara, senior. He was recorded as being alive in 1886 when his daughter, Anne, married Patrick Baker. It may be that Patrick senior, also, had emigrated and was living in America or Australia.

Sheila