Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Jim
Yes, you are right in saying that the 4 children of John McNamara and Bridget Coffey are still there – even if it wasn’t their Anne who married John Canny!

When I looked again at that 1833 entry in the baptisms, I could see that I was right first time. It is Andrew. The small “w” at the end of the father’s name is also there in the child’s name. There is a name overhead that is crossed out, but I think it is John.

It is becoming clear to me how very few of those McNamara girls, from Glendree, who were born 1819-1846, remained in Tulla and married. At least the parish marriage records show very few from Glendree - though there are probably some whose residence is not given (as is the case with Jane McNamara who married Denis Cooney). I’ve looked especially those sisters of the 5 Thomas McNamaras who are still in the running for the position of Civil War veteran, but I don’t see any marriage in the parish records that matches any of them.
There’s a Bridget McNamara, Glendree, who married William Hassett of Cragroe, on 18.02.1871, but the record shows that she is only 19, so she was born about 1851 and can’t be one of those sisters. Her father is Patrick McNamara, Farmer. William died a couple of years afterwards and then Bridget married Pat Connors in 1875. This couple are in Cragroe in 1901. Bridget is aged 49.
It’s more difficult to decide whether any of the brothers of those Thomases married, as they may have married in another parish.
The population continued to drop in the years after the Great Famine and did not begin to recover until the 1960s, I think. And when you look at the number of marriages in the marriage register you can see why. Not alone did just one son remain at home, but even fewer daughters seem to have remained.

The Thomas McNamara, who is aged 33 in 1901, did not marry, nor did his sister, Mary. Mary died in 1921, aged 55, and Thomas died in 1935 aged 71. The person who reported Thomas’ death was a Martin McNamara from Clonagroe (the townland of Clonagroe is in Feakle parish, but on the boundary with Glendree). This Martin was a relative, undoubtedly*, and it would seem that Thomas had no closer relative, such as a sibling, living nearby. It would seem that all his siblings had gone away (i.e. the children of Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes). Such a whittling down of the population was almost like some great feat of engineering.

* Who is this Martin McNamara, Clonagroe? He is the son of a Thomas McNamara and Maria Hayes who married in 1900. (Martin was born in 1904). That Thomas McNamara was the son of James McNamara, Clonagroo, and Anne Rodgers. Maria Hayes was the daughter of Martin Hayes and Mary Lyons, Maghera (Feakle).
It’s possible that Maria’s father, Martin Hayes, was a brother of Bridget Hayes who had married Thomas McNamara of Glendree, in 1863.
Martin (in Maghera) is aged 80 in the 1901 census. Bridget (in Glendree) is aged 68 in 1901.
Bridget [Hayes] McNamara, died in Glendree in 1909 aged 70; informant: Thomas McNamara, son of deceased.
Martin Hayes died in Maghera in 1906 aged 89; informant: Martin Hayes, son of deceased.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 am

Hi Sheila, thanks again for your help and especially for obtaining the marriage record for Anne McNamara. Yes, it does appear that not very many of the McNamara's remained in Glandree. About your research into John McNamara of Ballyoughtra and possibly of Kilmore, I think you were very brave to use "must be" with such a common name as "John McNamara" in the same sentence!
... I sent to G.R.O. for the record of Anne’s marriage in 1864, and this tells us that she is a daughter of a John McNamara. She married John Canny of Upper Glendree, a son of Michael Canny, in Tulla chapel; witnesses: Michael Canny, Margaret Gorman (1864). However, Anne’s address is Kilmore [townland in the parish of Tulla]. Griffith’s Valuation shows a John McNamara leasing plot 4 in Kilmore (from Major E.F.H. Poclington), but John does not seem to have a dwelling house there. Kilmore is one of the townlands included in Glendree D.E.D. and so the 1921 Rate Book for Glendree gives the new owner of plot 4 a. It is a John Connellan.
Kilmore was not used as a residence in the first two Tulla baptism registers between 1819 and 1862, I believe the location was split out from neighboring Uggoon? In the 1901 Census, Anne McNamara Canny was 60 years old; and in 1911 she was 74 years old, so born between 1836 and 1841. Couldn't this Anne McNamara of Kilmore be the daughter born in 1836 to John McNamara and Ellen McNamara:
1) 1828, Mary, in Uggoon, sponsors James Mulconry, Mary McNamara
2) 1829, Tim, in Curranalough, sponsors Roger O'Dea, Bridget O'Dea
3) 1831, Bridget, in Uggoon, sponsors Corny Looney, Biddy Connellan
4) 1833, Honora, in Uggoon, sponsors Daniel McNamara, Mary Mulconry(?)
5) 1834, Honora, unclear location, sponsors Daniel McNamara, Mary Molony
6) 1836, Anne, in Carraghtog(?), sponsors Denis Hasset, Mary Dugan

I also researched the two McNamara families living in Kilmore in the 1901 Census:

House 1, Kilmore, Glendree: Tim McNamara (age 50) and wife Bridget (age 50), with children Matthew (age 19), Nora (age 16), and Kate (age 15). I believe Thady McNamara and Bridget Brody have underestimated their ages by about 5 years in the 1901 Census. In the Tulla baptism register they had the following children born in Kilmore: John 1866; Mary 1867; Patrick 1869; Michael 1870; James 1872; Ellen 1874; Daniel 1875; Bridget 1877; Mary 1878; Mathew 1880 (age 19 in 1901 Census). A total of 12 children including the two youngest. In the 1911 Census, in Kilmore House 2 is their son Michael (age 40) and daughter Nora (age 25).

House 2, Kilmore, Glendree: James McNamara (age 64) and wife Bridget Carthy McNamara (age 45) and their 10 children born between 1870 to 1897 (nearly three decades!); first born son named James. James was 64 in 1901 and 81 in 1911, so could have been born between 1830 and 1837. There is a James born in 1831 to parents Daniel McNamara and Anne Nugent of Uggoon (see family detail a few posts back). Sponsors at baptisms of James' children included Patt McNamara and Michael McNamara who were also children of Daniel McNamara and Anne Nugent.
.... so the 1921 Rate Book for Glendree gives the new owner of plot 4 a. It is a John Connellan. I then noted that John Connellan was also leasing a farm in Ballyoughtra (O’Callaghan) from Patrick J. Moloney ... This farm in Ballyoughtra (O’Callaghan) - plot 1 b in Griffith’s - had been leased at the time of Griffith’s by John McNamara, jointly with John Rogers and Charles G. O’Callaghan. So, this John McNamara, in Ballyoughtra O’Callaghan, I reckon, must be the same John McNamara in Kilmore.

I failed to find a record of the death of Margaret’s father, Patrick, so I can’t say when Patrick was born. But I reckon he must be a son of John McNamara. The Tulla parish records show that Patrick married Mary O’Brien from Derryulk in July 1861; witnesses: John Molony, Bridget Hogan. He may be the unnamed child of John McNamara, Baloughtra, who was baptised on 31st May, 1821; sponsor: John Rogers.
In the Tulla baptism records, in addition to the Patrick McNamara and Mary O'Brien of Ballyoughtra who had children between 1863 and 1875; there was a Michael McNamara and Bridget Hennessy of Ballyoughtra who had children between 1863 and 1876. Are the two men brothers? Both of their first born sons were named John, so I believe this is likely and that their father would be a John McNamara.

With regards to the 1861 marriage of Patt McNamara and Mary O'Brien, I reckon that Mary would, like most Tulla brides, be about 19 years of age. And very unlikely to marry a man born in 1821 who might be the same age as her father. However, I did look further into the 1821 birth of the unnamed child of John McNamara, Baloughtra, unnamed mother, sponsor John Rogers that you mentioned. I think it very likely that the mother was Bridget Rogers who with John McNamara would have other children all born in Garruragh:
1) Unknown child (1821), birth Balouchtra
?) missing baptism period 1822 to 1825
2) Bridget McNamara (1828), sponsors John Sullivan and John Kerwick
3) John McNamara (1830), sponsors Pat Jones and Margaret Lynch
4) Mary McNamara (1833), sponsors Pat Brody and Bridget Kerwick; Mary married Thady Lynch of Tyredagh in 1852
5) Thady McNamara (1836), sponsors Edmond Casy and Mary Reidy
6) Patt McNamara (1841, missing baptism period)?? married Mary O'Brien??
7) Michael McNamara (1843, missing baptism period)?? married Bridget Hennessy??
8 ) Daniel McNamara (1845), sponsors Joan Sullivan

Could Patt McNamara and Michael McNamara have been born in the missing baptism periods of 1841 and 1843? Their age upon marriage in the early 1860's (no marriage record, but first born child for both born in 1863) would be perfect at about 20 years. With John McNamara's wife being Bridget Rogers this does provide a link with the John Rogers who John McNamara shared a lease with in Ballyoughtra per the 1855 Griffith's. Also, a child of Michael McNamara and Bridget Hennessy had a sponsor named Bridget Rodgers. But all the births of their children were in Garruragh which is about 5 miles south of Ballyoughtra. So not sure.

Another option is that Patt McNamara is the son of John McNamara and Mary Kelly of Derryulk who we have previously researched and know they had children born between 1838 and 1849. Kilmore and Derryulk are very close. Patt could have been born in 1841 or 1843, the missing baptism periods. Patt married Mary O'Brien of Derryulk, so it would not be uncommon that his birthplace was also Derryulk. However, this Patrick of Derryulk could not have had a brother named Michael (the one in Ballyoughtra), because John McNamara and Mary Kelly had son Michael in 1849 who could not have married and had a child with Bridget Hennessy in 1862.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Jim

I think your theory that Kilmore was split out from the townland of Uggoon is a good theory. As you say, Kilmore is not used as a residence in the first two parish registers of baptisms. And I could not find it in Tithes either. I also tried a comparison of names, but got nowhere with that. Kilmore is a strange shape – it resembles a chair back and chair seat for Uggoon. I had often wondered where Gortacummer was situated but now I see that it is the name of a group of houses within the townland of Kilmore (The GeoHive public viewer map is available again: http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html and if you click on “Base Information and Mapping” and then on “Historic Map 25 inch” you will find Gortacummer). This “chair seat’ part of Kilmore townland adjoins the southern boundary of Glendree, while the “chair back” part adjoins Uggoon.

So you may be right in thinking that Anne McNamara from Kilmore could be the daughter of John McNamara and Ellen McNamara. Their address is usually Uggoon in the baptisms, but this might be the part of Uggoon that later (in the making of the 1842 map) was split off and named Kilmore.

I think you may be right also in thinking that John McNamara and Bridget Rogers of Garruragh, are the parents of the unnamed son of John McNamara born 1821 – based on the sponsor’s name (John Rogers).

Speaking of placenames that were “unofficial”, I had noted “Shanavagha” in the baptisms and then I found (in the Ejectiment Books) that it seems to be situated in Upper Glendree: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... /tulla.htm
I also noted “Kirane” in the baptisms – it’s once or twice given as the residence of Patrick McNamara and Catherine Coree - but only now have found that it seems to be situated in Upper Glendree also. The civil record of the birth of John Jones on 13.03.1874 to Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson gives the address as Keraun. The baptism of this child in the parish register gives the residence as Glendree. Likewise with his sister, Mary b. 1872. Upper Glendree is given as the address of Catherine b. 1875, who is another child of that couple.

I was looking at the Joneses because the 1921 Rate Book shows that John Jones, Michael McNamara and Thomas McNamara each have a one third share of plot 3. And I wondered if there was some connection between the Joneses and those McNamaras. I found a death record for Catherine Jones, Glandree, who died in 1896, agd 80, widow of a farmer; informant: Thomas McNamara, brother of deceased, Glandree. She must the mother of Michael Jones (above) who had died in 1889, aged 48 - the baptisms show the baptism on 15.06.1842 of Michael Jones(?) of Michael Jones(?) and Kitty MacNamara, Glan(?); sponsors: Martin Clune, (?).

This Catherine Jones nee McNamara is interesting, because, going on her aged at death, she was born about 1816. So who is the Thomas McNamara who is her brother? And who are her parents? Have we rushed into assuming that Thomas McNamara who married Bridget Hayes is the son of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara. Yes, the revisions to Griffith’s Valuation show that a share of plot 3 tranferred from a Michael McNamara to Thomas McNamara, and, yes, Thomas’ age in 1901 tallies with a birth year of 1829, but could he have been the Thomas born to Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack – and maybe the last of the children born to that couple? I’m saying all this because it think it is doubtful that Bridget McNamara had children from 1816 to 1848 (when her daughter, Bridget was born).
This leads me to wonder if Thomas (brother of Kitty Jones) is the son of Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack, who was born in 1829 (interestingly, one of the sponsors at that baptism was a John Jones). If he is, then that frees up the other Thomas b. 1829, who has a sister M(?) born 1841-42. I note that you believe that this "M(?)" is "Mary".

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you. That is good information on Catherine McNamara Jones as a potential sister which I was able to double down on. Yes, who is Kate a sister to? and did she have other sisters? When I started the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree, my chart only included those McNamara parents who had a son named Thomas. So there could be a Thomas McNamara born around 1815 that had a child in the baptism register but no son named Thomas. Or else there could be a Thomas born around 1815 who never married nor had children. But there is another perfectly reasonable explanation why Thomas McNamara, son of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara, reported Catherine McNamara Jones as his "sister" on her 1896 death record.

The relationships between siblings and aunts/uncles can be very confusing when parents had children over a 20 year period. It would be possible for a child to have an uncle that was younger in age or close enough in age to be treated as a sibling or cousin.

As far as the Thomas McNamara who reported on the death of his "sister" Catherine McNamara Jones in 1896, here is my theory. Kate born in 1816 was orphaned at a young age and relatives would have taken her in. When parents have children over a twenty year period this was probably quite common. Perhaps her brother Michael McNamara and his wife Bridget McNamara raised Kate as their own daughter? In the same manner, their son Thomas would have treated Kate as his own sister and not an aunt.

Unknown Parents (born around 1776, father possibly named Patrick) may have had the following children between 1796 and 1816
(first child is 0.0 as this is an Edit and I don't want to renumber the later children)
(life span), <1901 Census House #, 1911 House #>, all in Glandree unless otherwise stated:

0.0 Thomas McNamara(1799 - Unknown) and Unknown Spouse
............0.1 Mary McNamara (1819 - Unknown) and James McMahon of Quin Clooney Parish
......................... 0.1.1 Mary McMahon (1840) and Martin McNamara (1840) <Spancilhill, House 13>
.......................................... 0.1.1.1 Michael McNamara (1868)
.......................................... 0.1.1.2 Mary Anne McNamara (1869)
.......................................... 0.1.1.3 Bridget McNamara (1871)
.......................................... 0.1.1.4 Thomas McNamara (1872) <Spancilhill, House 13>
.......................................... 0.1.1.5 Anne McNamara (1874) <Spancilhill, House 13>
.......................................... 0.1.1.6 Margaret McNamara (1878) <Spancilhill, House 13>
.......................................... 0.1.1.7 Martin McNamara (age 18 in 1901) <Spancilhill, House 13>
......................... 0.1.2 Patrick? McMahon (1841) <Clooney, House 1>
......................... 0.1.3 Michael McMahon (1845)
......................... 0.1.4 Bridget? McMahon (1855) <Clooney, House 1>

Mary McNamara met her husband James McMahon of Clooney at the annual Spancilhill Horse Fair on the 24th of June 1838, they would marry in Tulla the following February 1839, witnesses included a Pat McNamara, who might have been her uncle. This is all speculation, of course, it may have been on the 23rd of June the day before the fair where Ireland's sons and daughters and friends assembled there.

1.0 Margaret McNamara (1805 - Unknown) and John McNamara (1805 - Unknown)
............ 1.1 James McNamara (1828)
............ 1.2 Bridget McNamara (1832)

Margaret McNamara of Glandree married John McNamara of Glandree in October 1825. One witness was Dennis McNamara, a likely brother of John McNamara, who in 1837 appears to have married Kate McNamara, the possible sister of Margaret. Bridget McNamara, who married Michael McNamara, might also be a sister of John and Dennis.

2.0 Michael McNamara (1807 - Unknown) and Bridget McNamara (1807 - )
............ 2.1 Pat McNamara (1827)
............ 2.2 Thomas McNamara (1829 -1915 at age of 89) and Bridget Hayes (1833 - prior to 1901) <House 6, House 20>
......................... 2.2.1 Thomas McNamara (1863 - 1935) <House 6, House 20>
......................... 2.2.2 Mary McNamara (1865 - 1921) <House 6, House 20>
......................... 2.2.3 John McNamara (1867)
......................... 2.2.4 Bridget McNamara (1869)
......................... 2.2.5 Michael McNamara (1871)
......................... 2.2.6 Margaret McNamara (1873)

............ 2.3 Martin McNamara (1830)
............ 2.4 Johanna McNamara (1832)
............ 2.5 Michael McNamara (1835)
............ 2.6 Matt McNamara (1836)
............ 2.7 Matt McNamara (1838)
............ 2.8 Mary or Marg McNamara (1840)
............ 2.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 2.9 James McNamara (1844)
............ 2.10 Bridget McNamara (1848)

3.0 Martin McNamara (1809 - prior to 1856) and Bridget Foley (1809 - Unknown)
............ 3.1 Mary McNamara (1829)
............ 3.2 Laurence McNamara (1831-1922) and Honora Moloney (- prior to 1901) <House 25, House 21>
......................... 3.2.1 Mary McNamara (1860)
......................... 3.2.2 Martin McNamara (1862)
......................... 3.2.3 Michael McNamara (1864) and Bridget (1877) <House 25, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.1 Nora McNamara (age 6 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.2 Lawrence McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.3 Kathleen McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.4 Mary McNamara (age 2 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.5 Stephen McNamara (age 0 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................... 3.2.4 Ellen McNamara (1867)
......................... 3.2.5 James McNamara (1870)
......................... 3.2.6 Honora McNamara (1872)
......................... 3.2.7 Honora McNamara (1876)
............ 3.3 Margaret McNamara (1834)
............ 3.4 Martin McNamara (1836)
............ 3.5 Catherine McNamara (1839)
............ 3.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 3.6 Margaret McNamara (1842)
............ 3.7 Andrew McNamara (1843)
............ 3.8 Michael McNamara (1846)

4.0 Pat McNamara (1810 - 1901) <House 5, x>,
Children with Anne Cooney, several name variations in Tulla baptism register (1811 - 1845ish)
............ 4.1 Pat McNamara (1831)
............ 4.2 Patrick McNamara (1833)
............ 4.3 Michael McNamara (1836**) and Mary Nash (age 39 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.3.1 Richard McNamara (age 14 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.3.2 Kate McNamara (age 12 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.3.3 Michael McNamara (age 10 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.3.4 John McNamara (age 8 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.3.5 Mary Ellen McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.3.6 James McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.3.7 Thomas McNamara (age 1 in 1911) <x, House 41>
............ 4.4 Miles McNamara (1839)
............ 4.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 4.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 4.5 Anne McNamara (1844)
Children with wife Kate Foley (1822 - prior to 1901)
............ 4.6 Martin McNamara (1848)
............ 4.7 Winny McNamara (1851)
............ 4.8 Catherine McNamara (1853)
............ 4.9 John McNamara (1855)
............ 4.10 Martin McNamara (1857)
............ 4.11 Thomas McNamara (1861)

**Michael McNamara (born 1836 in Shanavagha) marriage to Mary Nash is very uncertain based upon reporting of his age. In 1901 his age was reported as 48 (should be 64); in 1911 as 66 (should be 74). This discrepancy might be due to his wife being much younger. An even better explanation is that the Michael born in 1836 died young, and another Michael was born in either 1841 or 1843 missing pages of the Tulla baptism register.

5.0 Kate McNamara (1816 - 1896) and Dennis McNamara, then Michael Jones (1816 - after 1889)

............ 5.1 Johanna McNamara (1838)
............ 5.2 Michael Jones (1842 - 1889) and Margaret Nelson (1852 - prior to 1901)
......................... 5.2.1 Mary Jones (1872)
......................... 5.2.2 John Jones (1874) <House 2, House 24>
......................... 5.2.3 Catherine Jones (1875)
......................... 5.2.4 Martin Jones (1876) <House 2, x>
......................... 5.2.5 Anne Jones (1878)
......................... 5.2.6 Margaret Jones (1879)
......................... 5.2.7 Bridget Jones (age 18 in 1901) <House 2, x>
......................... 5.2.8 Lena Jones (age 17 in 1901) <House 2, House 24>
......................... 5.2.9 Unknown Child (11 children were evicted in 1889)
......................... 5.2.10 Thomas Jones (age 14 in 1901) <House 2, x>
......................... 5.2.11 Lizzie Jones (age 12 in 1901) <House 2, House 24>

Although no marriage record in the Tulla register, Kate McNamara of Glandree most certainly married Michael Jones, and most likely about 1840. She would have been 24 years old, a bit older than the norm for this period. I reckon Kate is also the Catherine McNamara of Glandree who married Dennis McNamara of Glandree (possible brother of John McNamara who might be married to a sister Margaret McNamara) in February 1837 at a respectable age of 20. Kate and Dennis had one daughter Judy together in January 1838; the sponsor was Kate Jones (oddly enough a likely relative of her second husband Michael Jones). Dennis McNamara appears to have died leaving Kate a widow with an infant daughter. This is all speculation, of course.

1921 Rate Book (family tree reference above):
Plot 3: (a) Thomas McNamara (2.2.1); (b) Michael McNamara (4.3); (c) John Jones (5.2.2)
Plot 45: Lawrence McNamara (3.2)

The Tulla baptism register starts in 1819 so of course the above relationship between siblings is complete speculation. However, someday new evidence, for example, from immigration passenger listings, an Australian obituary, Irish headstone, or American probate records of a rich relative who died intestate, might prove these relationships. The parts of the above family tree in italics have little to no evidence; generally I've assumed any unknown birth years to be 20 years prior to a marriage / first birth of a child.

Edit: as discussed in my next posting
Last edited by Jimbo on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 am

Jim, I can accept that the Thomas McNamara, who described himself as a brother of Catherine Jones, may have been her nephew. The Thomas McNamara, who lived in plot 3, who was the son of a Michael McNamara, and whose mother’s name we do not know, married a Bridget Hayes. He gives his age in 1901 as 72, and in 1911 as 82, which would make him a good fit for one of the Thomases born in 1829, but I see now that the record of his death in 1915 gives his age as 89.

Jim, a great deal of the rest of what you have written is pure speculation and I don’t think you make that clear enough - I don't think that what's in italics covers everything that is not evidence-based. So I have extracted what is based on evidence:

Margaret McNamara and John McNamara:
Margaret McNamara of Glandree married John McNamara of Glandree in October 1825. One witness was Dennis McNamara. Two baptisms are recorded for this couple:
1. James McNamara (1828)
2. Bridget McNamara (1832)

Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara - all we know about this couple is that they lived in Glendree and had about 10 children:
1 Pat McNamara (1827)
*2 Thomas McNamara (1829 - ? )
3. Martin McNamara (1830)
4. Johanna McNamara (1832)
5. Michael McNamara (1835)
6. Matt McNamara (1836)
7. Matt McNamara (1838)
8. Mary or Marg McNamara (1840)
? missing baptism page (1843)
9. James McNamara (1844)
10. Bridget McNamara (1848)

* This Thomas may, or may not be the Thomas McNamara who married Bridget Hayes in Feakle in 1863 <House 6, House 20>
......................... 1 Thomas McNamara (1863 - 1935) <House 6, House 20>
......................... 2 Mary McNamara (1865 - 1921) <House 6, House 20>
......................... 3. John McNamara (1867)
......................... 4. Bridget McNamara (1869)
......................... 5. Michael McNamara (1871)
......................... 6. Margaret McNamara (1873)

Martin McNamara (?– prior to 1856) and Bridget Foley (?- Unknown):
1. Mary McNamara (1829)
2. Laurence McNamara (1831-1922) and Honora Moloney (- prior to 1901) <House 25, House 21>
......................... 2.1 Mary McNamara (1860)
......................... 2.2 Martin McNamara (1862)
......................... 2.3 Michael McNamara (1864) and Bridget (1877) <House 25, House 21>:
...................................................................... 2.3.1 Nora McNamara (age 6 in 1911) <x, House 21>
...................................................................... 2.3.2 Lawrence McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 21>
...................................................................... 2.3.3 Kathleen McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 21>
...................................................................... 2.3.4 Mary McNamara (age 2 in 1911) <x, House 21>
...................................................................... 2.3.5 Stephen McNamara (age 0 in 1911) <x, House 21>

......................... 2.4 Ellen McNamara (1867)
......................... 2.5 James McNamara (1870)
......................... 2.6 Honora McNamara (1872)
......................... 2.7 Honora McNamara (1876)
3. Margaret McNamara (1834)
4. Martin McNamara (1836)
5. Catherine McNamara (1839)
? missing baptism page (1841)
6. Margaret McNamara (1842)
7. Andrew McNamara (1843)
8. Michael McNamara (1846)

In 1901, a Pat McNamara, aged 91, and his wife, Kate, aged 79, are living in House 5. This couple may be Pat McNamara and Kate Corry, or they may Pat McNamara and Kate Couny, or they may Pat McNamara and Kate Foley. If Kate is Kate Foley, then these are the baptisms recorded for them:
Pat McNamara (1810 - 1901) and Kate Foley (1822 - 1905) <House 5, x>
1. Martin McNamara (1848)
2. Winny McNamara (1851)
3. Catherine McNamara (1853)
4. John McNamara (1855)
5. Martin McNamara (1857)
6. Thomas McNamara (1861)
In 1901, a Michael McNamara, aged 48, is living with Pat McNamara and Kate, and described as their son. He had married Mary Nash in 1895. The civil record of the marriage gives his father’s name as Patrick. It is safe to say that Michael is really a son of Patrick, but that his baptism was not recorded, or it may be that the entry for a Michael Foley who was baptised in 1847 (page 12 online) was meant to be for the baptism of Michael McNamara. These are the children of Michael and Mary (Nash):
Michael McNamara (1846) and Mary Nash (age 39 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 1. Richard McNamara (age 14 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 2. Kate McNamara (age 12 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 3. Michael McNamara (age 10 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4. John McNamara (age 8 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 5. Mary Ellen McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 6. James McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 7. Thomas McNamara (age 1 in 1911) <x, House 41>

A Kate McNamara married a Dennis McNamara in 1827. One baptism is recorded for this couple: Judy b. 1838.

A Mary McNamara married a James McMahon from Clooney. There are 4 baptisms recorded for this couple.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:01 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, there was a bit of speculation involved but it is good to have the detail laid out all in one place. And I've been speculating whether Thomas McNamara and his two remaining children with a one third spilt of Plot 3 in Glandree would have been dependent upon children in America sending money home. This led to some interesting relationships on U.S. Passenger Lists that either solve part of the puzzle or just raise more questions. But I feel like we are making progress in the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree.

First a bit of clean up - I've gone back to make the below edits (1) and (2) in the prior tree. More of a streamlined story which granted still has lots of speculation about the relationship between siblings born prior to the start of the Tulla baptism register in 1819.

(1) The Patrick McNamara who married Kate Foley at the age of 36, I believe had a first marriage to the mother in Glandree recorded in the baptism register as Kate/Anne/Nancy with a surname of Couny/Canny. These various births are for one single mother; priests appear to have commonly confused the names of the women in the registers. Fortunately, there was no overlap in births to ruin this theory. Patrick would have married at age 20 and had a son named Michael in 1836. I believe this is the Michael McNamara, age 48 in the 1901 Census and age 66 in the 1911 Census. Michael has a young wife Mary Nash who was more consistent with her ages: age 29 in 1901, and 39 in 1911. So it is possible that Michael may have been 64 in 1901 and 74 in 1911 and lied about his age due to having a much younger wife? A better explanation is that the Michael born in 1836 died young; and another Michael was born in 1841 or 1843 that has missing pages in the Tulla baptism register. Anyways, with Michael's marriage record stating "Patrick" as father this is a much more plausible explanation than my prior theory that he was a son of Martin McNamara.

(2) Patrick McNamara's first born son was named Patrick; same as the first born son of Michael McNamara. My new speculation is that their father was "Patrick" and unlikely to have been a "Thomas". So the Thomas McNamara who had a daughter Mary in 1819, has been downgraded from possible father to a possible brother, born about 1799. This shifts the two decade span for when the unknown McNamara parents had children born between the years 1796 and 1816. This leaves room for speculation about other siblings - in particular a sister "Bridget"? "Catherine McNamara" I have downgraded to speculation (italics), as now less certain. Maybe it was a bit too early to celebrate the reunification of the McNamara sisters of Glandree.

I haven't changed on the previous family tree, but I am now considering moving the Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes family based upon relationships discovered in the U.S. Passenger Lists, see below:

1.0 Patrick McNamara (1805 - ?) and Hanna Keefe (1805 - Unknown) of Derryulk, <Clondanagh, House 5, age 86??>
............ 1.1 Thomas McNamara (1825 - 1915 ) and Bridget Hayes (1833 - prior to 1901) <House 6, 20>
......................... 1.1.1 Thomas McNamara (1863 - 1935) <Glendree House 6, House 20>
......................... 1.1.2 Mary McNamara (1865 - 1921) <Glendree House 6, House 20>
......................... 1.1.3 John McNamara (1867)
......................... 1.1.4 Bridget McNamara (1869) - returned to NYC with cousin Patrick in 1911
......................... 1.1.5 Michael McNamara (1871)
......................... 1.1.6 Margaret McNamara (1873) - lived at 152 East 27th St, NYC
............ 1.2 Mary McNamara (1826), Derryulk
............ 1.3 John McNamara (1828), Derryulk
............ 1.4 Stephen McNamara (1829), Derryulk, <Derryulk Middle, House 4 in 1901>
............ 1.5 Michael McNamara (1832), Derryulk
............ 1.6 Patt McNamara (1835) and Bridget Meehan <Derryulk Middle, House 4 in 1901, widow>
......................... 1.6.1 Catherine McNamara (1857), Cloondan(?)
......................... 1.6.2 Mary McNamara (1859), Drumcharley, <Derryulk Middle, House 4>
......................... 1.6.3 Margaret McNamara (1862), Cragroe
......................... 1.6.4 Patrick McNamara (1865), Clondana, <Derryulk Middle, House 4>, NYC with cousins Mary & Marg Mack in 1911
......................... 1.6.5 Bridget McNamara (1867), Clondana
......................... 1.6.6 Anne McNamara (1869), Clondana
......................... 1.6.7 Jane McNamara (1872), Clondanna
......................... 1.6.8 James McNamara (1874), Clondana, <Clondanagh, House 5, "father" is 86 year old grandfather?>
......................... 1.6.9 Laurence McNamara (1879), Clondanna
......................... 1.6.10 Sarah McNamara (age 17 in 1901), <Clondanagh, House 5, "father" is 86 year old grandfather?>
............ 1.7 Bridget McNamara (1839), Derryulk
............ 1.? missing baptism period (1841)

Note that with the changes above, Thomas (born in 1825 missing baptism period) would be about 89 years old when he died in 1915, same as his death record. The evidence for this revised construction is the U.S. passenger lists, see transcriptions by Tom McDowell for Tulla immigrants to America.

On 3 Sept 1911, on the SS Adriatic, was Delia "Bridget" McNamara, age 38, daughter of Thomas McNamara of Tulla, returning to the United States (she was a U.S. citizen); American contact was her sister Margaret McNamara of 152 East 27th St., New York.

She was traveling with her cousin Patrick McNamara, age 43, his "Brother Thomas McNamara" was in Tulla, with same American contact "cousin" Margaret McNamara of 152 East 27th Street.

When you view the original documents, Patrick and then Delia appear on consecutive rows. For Patrick it states "Brother Thomas McNamara" of "Tulla, Clare" and then for Delia it is just states "Father" with ditto marks for name and location. I believe for Patrick, this was a mistake and should have stated "Uncle Thomas McNamara", since Margaret was her cousin - and he doesn't appear to have a brother named Thomas. See below passenger listing on Family Search:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... print=true

Patrick McNamara of "152 East 57th Street" (exactly 30 blocks from prior address?) declared his "Declaration of Intent" to become a U.S. citizenship just a few days after arriving. He gave his birth as "4 January 1868" in Clare, Ireland. Couldn't find his baptism record initially, but I believe Patrick McNamara (age 36) was living with his mother Bridget McNamara (age 65, a widow) and uncle Stephen McNamara (age 70, single) in Derryulk Middle in 1901; and with his sister Mary in 1911, Patrick was age 42. Since he had an issue with age consistency, I expanded the search in the baptism register by a few years. I believe Patrick was baptized on 31 January 1865, parents Patrick McNamara and Bridget Meehan in Clondana, Tulla as per above family tree.

1901 Irish Census for Derryulk Middle: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000490109/

Margaret McNamara (age 20) appears to have left Tulla on the Majestic in September 1898 for a "Cousin" at "412 Henry Street, Brooklyn". But in viewing the original document, scribbled in to the right is "Sister 127 Columbus Street" which I believe would be her older sister Delia who immigrated previously. Delia was returning to America in September 1911 as a U.S. citizen. Note that it was common for Irish immigrants to knock 5 years off their age when arriving in America, so not worried about the 5 year age differences.

Sheila, what is your opinion on the new family for Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes? Of course, this will free up the family of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara to be the parents of the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree. But why would Thomas McNamara (wife of Bridget Hayes) born in Derryulk, move to Glandree to share Plot 3? Of course, Kate McNamara Jones could be his aunt, and John Jones a cousin in Plot 3c. But do we have the right Patrick McNamara for Plot 3b? Would you expect the three holders of Plot 3 to be closely related? Or could Patrick McNamara who arrived in America in 1911 be a 2nd cousin of Margaret and Delia McNamara? And therefore Thomas McNamara (husband of Bridget Hayes) could still be the son of Michael and Bridget McNamara?

Who would have ever thought the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree would be so complex?

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 am

Hi Jim
About Thomas McNamara (who married Bridget Hayes); We don't know the name of Thomas' mother, but it's safe to say that his father was Michael. The revisions to Griffith’s Valuation show that Michael McNamara’s share of plot 3 transferred to Thomas McNamara about 1863 (the year that Thomas married). This is a very good indication that Thomas was the son of Michael. It is highly unlikely that he was the son of Patrick McNamara of Derryulk.

The Bridget who is a widow in House 5 in 1901 in Derryulk Middle is Bridget Naughten (we have referred to her previously on this thread). She is not Bridget Meehan who lived in Clondanna.

Bridget Meehan married Patrick McNamara on 13.08. 1854. The recorded baptisms of their children are: Catherine b. 1857, Mary b. 1859, Margaret b. 1862, Patrick b. 1865, Bridget b. 1867, Jane b. 1872, James b. 1874, Laurence b. 1879. There's also a Sarah born in 1883. In 1901, Patrick McNamara is still in Clondanagh, aged 86, and a widower. His wife, Bridget Meehan, had died (in Clondanna) in 1884, aged 49.

The McNamaras in Derryulk Middle are quite a separate family. As I have said, the Bridget living there in 1901, aged 65, is Bridget Naughten. She married John McNamara, who was a son of Patrick McNamara and Hanna Keefe. This Patrick is most likely the Pat McNamara who is listed in Tithes as living in Derryulk Upper, and Hanna is most likely the Hannah McNamara who is leasing plot 4, Derryulk Middle, in Griffith’s. Their son John (b. 1828) married Bridget Naughten about 1860. The baptisms recorded for this John and Bridget are: Mary b. 1862, Patrick b. 1864, James b. 1867, John b. 1869. John McNamara died in 1898 aged 68. The 1901 census shows Bridget (Naughten) a widow and her son, Patrick, her daughter, Mary, and her brother-in-law, Stephen McNamara, aged 70.

I had noted, in Tom McDowell’s list of emigrants, that a couple of the children of Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes went to America, but it’s good to see the original entries. As you say, the Delia McNamara who, on her return to US in 1911, gives her birthyear as 1873, and her father as Thomas McNamara, Tulla, is the Bridget who was born to Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes, in Glendree, in 1869. And the Margaret she was returning to is her sister who was born in 1873.
The Patrick who emigrated in 1911, aged 43, and who gives his birthyear as 1868, and his relative in Ireland as his brother Thomas, is a mystery. He could be any of several Patrick McNamaras whose births were registered in Tulla between 1864 and 1868*, but the one Patrick McNamara he cannot be is the son of John McNamara and Bridget Naughten in Derryulk Middle. That Patrick, living in Derryulk in 1911, is listed in the 1921 Rate Book for Kiltannon as now owning his farm.
It’s interesting that the Patrick who emigrated went with Bridget. But, with a name like Patrick McNamara, it’s going to be impossible to find a marriage record, or death record, that would give his parents’ names.

*There is a Patt McNamara, born 11.12.1867, to Michael McNamara and Margaret Walsh, in Leaghort More, in Feakle Parish (Loughea DED), but I don’t see him there in the 1901 census.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:37 am

Hi Jim

Michael McNamara, Glendree, aged 48 in 1901, and aged 66 in 1911, died in 1929 aged 84; informant: Patrick McNamara, son of deceased. (This Patrick was living with his uncle, Richard Nash, in 1901 and 1911). I believe that Michael was born about 1845.

About Patrick McNamara who went to the US in 1911 along with his cousin Bridget McNamara:
You may remember that when Bridget’s brother, Thomas, died (1935) in Glendree, the informant was Martin McNamara from Cloonagroe (Feakle parish). And that I reckoned that Martin was related to Thomas because Thomas’ mother was Bridget Hayes, while Martin’s mother was Maria Hayes (possibly aunt and niece). Of course it may be that the relationship was through the McNamaras, also. Martin McNamara was born to Thomas McNamara and Maria Hayes in 1904 in Cloonagroe. Thomas and Maria had married in 1900. I think this Thomas may be the Thomas that Patrick referred to as his brother in the ship’s manifest in 1911.

The civil record of the marriage of Thomas McNamara and Maria Hayes in 1900 shows that Thomas’ father was James McNamara. This James is shown living in Clonagroo in 1901, aged 60. His wife Anne is aged 56. Their son Thos aged 26 is living with them and his wife Mary (Maria Hayes) and their first son James.
James McNamara had married Anne Rodgers on 12.02.1850; witnesses: John Shea, (?) Whyte (Caher Feakle marriages).
These are the baptisms recorded for that couple (Caher Feakle baptisms):
10.03.1855: Michael Mack of James Mack and Nancy Rodgers, Maughera; sponsors: Thomas Mack, Kitty Mack.
10.12.1857: Winny Mack of James Mack and Nancy Rodgers, Moughera; sponsors: James and Nancy Sullivan.
05.01.1860: Pat of James McNamara and Nancy McNamara, Maghera; sponsors: William and Hanna Hayes.
10.01.1865: Anne Mack of James Mack and Nancy Rodgers, Clonagroe; sponsor: James Rodgers
29.06.1871: Thomas of James McNamara and Anne Rodgers, Clonagroe; sponsors: Darby Rodgers, Mary Lyons.

Now of course I can see that the baptism of Pat in 1860 does not tally with the birthyear (1868) that Patrick (the 1911 emigrant) gives himself, but I think it is interesting that the date of that baptism is the 5th January.
The other thing worth noting, I think, is that James died in 1909, so it follows that any of his children sailing after that date would give Thomas (the new head of household) as the relative in Ireland.

But a problem that arises, apart from the wide gap between 1860 and 1868, is that Patrick does not appear in the 1901 census. At least he is not living in Clonagroo. If he had moved to Tulla parish, that might explain his giving Tulla as his address, but I can’t find him there either.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Jim

Familysearch.org shows the death of a Patrick McNamara on 8th September 1915, in Manhattan, New York. His birthyear is 1861. His parents are James McNamara and Anne Rogers. Can this be Patrick who emigrated in 1911 giving his birthyear as 1868?

If so, his father, James McNamara, Clonagroe, may be a brother of Thomas McNamara, Glendree, the father of Bridget who returned to the US in 1911, going to her sister, Margaret. That James died in 1909, aged 90.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:58 am

Hi Sheila,

Well I really made a dog's breakfast out of the Patrick McNamara family of Derryulk and Cloondanagh! Thanks for sorting out the mess. I'll get back to Cloondanagh another day as have interesting information from the Land War period for this family.

Excellent work in tracking down the mysterious cousin Patrick McNamara to his family in Feakle Parish. Of course, with the exact birthday you have found him. It was very common for people to lie about their ages on shipping registers - perhaps there was concern that America or Australia only wanted the young? Knocking off 8 years is no big deal. We saw the exact same issue with the Patrick McNamara who went to Lowell, Massachusetts with your Mealey relatives. Since he was born in 1861, it makes him in his 20's during the Land War period and coercion laws which could be a very dangerous age to be (same with the Patrick McNamara of Cloondanagh). Knowing that he is from Feakle might help discover if he got into a bit of trouble and that is why he can't be found in the census reports. The New York Times of 11 September 1915 reported his brief death announcement: "McNAMARA- Patrick,1705 2nd Av., Sep 8. Funeral today, 9:30 A.M." His building on the Upper Eastside was built in 1910 and would take major bucks to live in today: https://tinyurl.com/1705-2nd-Av-Zillow And here is the bottom floor restaurant: http://www.thewritingroomnyc.com/

Okay, I am now totally convinced that Kate was a sister of both Thomas and your newly found James! Thanks for all you hard efforts to convince me as I was a bit slow. And I'm confident you will now agree that Michael McNamara, son of Martin, was adopted by Patrick - see explanations in newly revised family tree below. [EDIT: Michael's baptism record has been found below tree modified accordingly] Note, Thomas (father of Mary McNamara with the Spancilhill connection) has been kicked out since his birth was around 1799. I swapped around the married couple Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara, so Bridget is now the sibling. Both options are equally speculative, but having Bridget as the daughter might explain why her father provided no land. Plus, I had hoped to find a spot for a different Michael to be born in the missing baptism period of March 1822 to August 1825. In particular, the Michael McNamara of Plot 60 - but then I remembered on his marriage it stated he was from Uggoon. Perhaps the Michael McNamara who married Mary Cunningham is a sibling? There could be other siblings not yet identified born in 1822 or 1824. And how does the John McNamara who married Mary Kelly fit in, or is he totally separate? Unfortunately, arriving at the conclusion that Michael McNamara is the father of all these siblings just raises many more questions. But this does narrow down the options of who could be the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree.

Out of curiosity...Michael McNamara and Mary Nash appear to have had twin sons (both age 14 in 1911). Why were they spit up between different households, with one twin living with an uncle? Is there some Irish superstition at play here?

Michael McNamara (born around 1785 ?, still living in 1863) and Unknown Wife * (1785 ? - ?)

* If youngest son Thomas McNamara was the Thomas baptized on 5 April 1829, as age in 1901 and 1911 Census would suggest, then his mother is Mary Cusack. However, if the youngest son Thomas was born around August 1825 (in missing baptism period) as his 1915 death record age of 89 would suggest, then his mother is NOT Mary Cusack.

(life span), <1901 Census House #, 1911 House #>, all in Glandree unless otherwise stated:

1.0 Margaret McNamara (1805 ? - Unknown) and John McNamara (1805 ? - Unknown)
............ 1.1 James McNamara (1828)
............ 1.2 Bridget McNamara (1832)

Margaret McNamara of Glandree married John McNamara of Glandree in October 1825. One witness was Dennis McNamara, a likely brother of John McNamara, who in 1837 appears to have married Kate McNamara, the possible sister of Margaret. Michael McNamara, who married Bridget McNamara, might also be a brother of John and Dennis.

2.0 Bridget McNamara (1807 ? - ) and Michael McNamara (1807 ? - Unknown)
............ 2.? missing baptism period (March 1822 to August 1825)
............ 2.1 Pat McNamara (1827)
............ 2.2 Thomas McNamara (1829) - the missing Civil War soldier of Glandree??
............ 2.3 Martin McNamara (1830)
............ 2.4 Johanna McNamara (1832) - the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY??
............ 2.5 Michael McNamara (1835)
............ 2.6 Matt McNamara (1836)
............ 2.7 Matt McNamara (1838)
............ 2.8 Mary or Marg McNamara (1840) - married to James Madigan, to Barnsley Yorkshire??
............ 2.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 2.9 James McNamara (1844)
............ 2.10 Bridget McNamara (1848)

3.0 Martin McNamara (1809 ? - prior to 1856) and Bridget Foley (1809 ? - Unknown)

............ 3.? missing baptism pages (March 1822 to August 1825), possibly a Michael?
............ 3.1 Mary McNamara (1829)
............ 3.2 Laurence McNamara (1831-1922) and Honora Moloney (- prior to 1901) <House 25, House 21>
......................... 3.2.1 Mary McNamara (1860)
......................... 3.2.2 Martin McNamara (1862)
......................... 3.2.3 Michael McNamara (1864) and Bridget (1877) <House 25, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.1 Nora McNamara (age 6 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.2 Lawrence McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.3 Kathleen McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.4 Mary McNamara (age 2 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 3.2.3.5 Stephen McNamara (age 0 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................... 3.2.4 Ellen McNamara (1867)
......................... 3.2.5 James McNamara (1870)
......................... 3.2.6 Honora McNamara (1872)
......................... 3.2.7 Honora McNamara (1876)
............ 3.3 Margaret McNamara (1834)
............ 3.4 Martin McNamara (1836)
............ 3.5 Catherine McNamara (1839)
............ 3.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 3.6 Margaret McNamara (1842)
............ 3.7 Andrew McNamara (1843)
............ 3.8 Michael McNamara (1846)

4.0 Pat McNamara (1810 - 1901) <House 5, x>,
...Children with Anne Cooney, several name variations in Tulla baptism register (1811 ? - 1845ish ?)
............ 4.1 Pat McNamara (1831)
............ 4.2 Patrick McNamara (1833)
............ 4.3 Michael McNamara (1836)
............ 4.4 Miles McNamara (1839)
............ 4.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 4.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 4.5 Anne McNamara (1844)
...Marriage to Kate "Margaret" Foley in February 1846 (possible daughter of Pat Foley and Mary McMahon born 1819)
...Children with wife Kate Foley (1819 ? - prior to 1901):
............ 4.6 Michael McNamara (1847 - 1929, age of 84) and Mary Nash (age 39 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.6.1 Patrick McNamara (age 14 in 1911) <House 28, House 32, with uncle Richard Nash>
......................... 4.6.2 Richard McNamara (age 14 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.6.3 Kate McNamara (age 12 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.6.4 Michael McNamara (age 10 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.6.5 John McNamara (age 8 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.6.6 Mary Ellen McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.6.7 James McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.6.8 Thomas McNamara (age 1 in 1911) <x, House 41>
............ 4.7 Martin McNamara (1848)
............ 4.8 Winny McNamara (1851)
............ 4.9 Catherine McNamara (1853)
............ 4.10 John McNamara (1855)
............ 4.11 Martin McNamara (1857)
............ 4.12 Thomas McNamara (1861)

5.0 Kate McNamara (1816 - 1896*) and Dennis McNamara, then Michael Jones (1816 ? - after 1889)
............ 5.1 Johanna McNamara (1838)
............ 5.2 Michael Jones (1842 - 1889) and Margaret Nelson (1852 - prior to 1901)
......................... 5.2.1 Mary Jones (1872)
......................... 5.2.2 John Jones (1874) <House 2, House 24>
......................... 5.2.3 Catherine Jones (1875)
......................... 5.2.4 Martin Jones (1876) <House 2, x>
......................... 5.2.5 Anne Jones (1878)
......................... 5.2.6 Margaret Jones (1879)
......................... 5.2.7 Bridget Jones (age 18 in 1901) <House 2, x>
......................... 5.2.8 Lena Jones (age 17 in 1901) <House 2, House 24>
......................... 5.2.9 Unknown Child (11 children were evicted in 1889)
......................... 5.2.10 Thomas Jones (age 14 in 1901) <House 2, x>
......................... 5.2.11 Lizzie Jones (age 12 in 1901) <House 2, House 24>
* Death record informant in 1896 was her brother Thomas McNamara (7.0)

Although no marriage record in the Tulla register, Kate McNamara of Glandree was married to Michael Jones, and most likely about 1840. She would have been 24 years old, a bit older than the norm for this period. I reckon Kate is also the Catherine McNamara of Glandree who married Dennis McNamara of Glandree (possible brother of John McNamara who might be married to a sister Margaret McNamara) in February 1837 at a respectable age of 20. Kate and Dennis had one daughter Judy together in January 1838; the sponsor was Kate Jones (oddly enough a likely relative of her second husband Michael Jones). Dennis McNamara appears to have died leaving Kate a widow with an infant daughter. This is all speculation, of course.

6.0 James McNamara (1819, died 1909 age 90; age 60 in 1901) married in 1850 to Anne Rodgers (age 56 in 1901) of Feakle Parish <Cloonagroo, House 8 in 1901>
............ 6.1 Michael McNamara (1855), Maghera
............ 6.2 Winny McNamara (1857), Maghera, to NYC married Patrick Brady in 1896
............ 6.3 Patrick McNamara (1860 - 1915, NYC), Maghera, NYC with cousins Mary & Marg Mack in 1911
............ 6.4 Anne McNamara (1865), Clonagroe
............ 6.5 James McNamara (1869 per USA census reports, no Feakle baptism), lived at 1705 2nd Ave, NYC with wife Catherine
............ 6.6 Thomas McNamara (1871), Clongroe married Maria Hayes in 1904 in Cloonagroe
......................... 6.6.1 James McNamara <Cloonagroo, House 8, age 11 in 1911>, to NYC to Uncle Jack at 1705 2nd Ave in 1924
......................... 6.6.2 Anne McNamara <Cloonagroo, House 8, age 10 in 1911>
......................... 6.6.3 Martin McNamara <Cloonagroo, House 8, age 8 in 1911>, informant for death record of Thomas McNamara (7.1)
......................... 6.6.1 Mary McNamara <Cloonagroo, House 8, age 5 in 1911>
......................... 6.6.1 Winnie McNamara <Cloonagroo, House 8, age 3 in 1911>
............ 6.? Kate McNamara (missing baptism record?) <Cloonagroo, House 8, age 26 in 1901; age 55 in 1911>

?.? Unknown Child (Missing Baptism Period of March 1823 through August 1825)

7.0 Thomas McNamara (1825 ** - died 1915 at age of 89) and Bridget Hayes (1833 - prior to 1901) <House 6, House 20>
............ 7.1 Thomas McNamara (1863 - 1935) <House 6, House 20>
............ 7.2 Mary McNamara (1865 - 1921) <House 6, House 20>
............ 7.3 John McNamara (1867)
............ 7.4 Bridget McNamara (1869), returned to NYC with cousin Patrick (6.3) in 1911
............ 7.5 Michael McNamara (1871)
............ 7.6 Margaret McNamara (1873), lived at 152 East 27th St, NYC

** Thomas might possibly have been born in April 1829 as age would suggest on Irish Census of 1901 and 1911? If so, his mother was Mary Cusack.

1921 Rate Book (family tree reference above):
Plot 3: 242 acres of mountain land
(a) Michael McNamara (top patriarch) to Thomas McNamara (7.0) about 1863
(b) Patrick McNamara (4.0) to Michael McNamara (4.6) at end of century
(c) John Jones (5.2.2)

Plot 45: In 1859 to Lawrence McNamara (3.2) from mother Bridget McNamara. 10 acres until 1910.

NOTE: The Tulla baptism register starts in 1819, so the relationship between siblings is challenging. However, there is strong evidence that Kate (5.0) is the sister of Thomas (7.0) based upon her death record. Also, that James (6.0) and Thomas (7.0) are brothers based upon the 1911 passenger listing of their children as "cousins". Plot 3 was split three ways which shows a relationship between Thomas (7.0), Patrick (4.0) and Kate (5.0). Martin (3.0) requires further evidence although "Martin" was a popular name for children of his possible siblings. Also both Martin (3.0) and Patrick (4.0) married a Foley, possibly sisters. The most speculative are Margaret (1.0) and Bridget/Michael (2.0) as siblings which are reported in italics with the other speculation.

EDITS: as discussed in my next posting
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 am

Hi Jim

Yes, there is a lot of speculation there and I think too much of an attempt to create a family without enough solid evidence. The important thing, from the point of view of our search, is that Thomas McNamara, who remained at home, is not the son of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara after all. And this allows us to consider that our Thomas (Civil War veteran) may be the son of that couple who was born in 1829. But I do not believe that we will ever know where in Glendree that family lived – unless some civil record from the 1860s gives us a clue.

About the Michael who lived in plot 3, whose father was Pat, and who married Mary Nash when he was about 50: I cannot agree that he was adopted by Pat. I still think it is much more likely that his baptism was not recorded, or is illegible, or that he is the “Michael Foley” whose baptism was recorded in 1847. Take a look at the original on page 12 and take into consideration that the mother’s name is also Foley.

About Patrick the son of Michael McNamara and Mary Nash who was living with his uncle Richard Nash in 1901 – yes, it was not uncommon for an aunt, or uncle to look after a neice, nephew, or for grandparents to look after a grandchild for a while.

About Kate McNamara who is living at home in Clonagroo in 1901 and in 1911: She is not Winifred – Winifred went to New York – the record of her marriage to Patrick Brady, on 15 Dec. 1896, shows that she was the daughter of James McNamara and Anne Rogers. And I don’t think Kate was Anne, either. I think Kate’s baptism went unrecorded.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:10 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your timely feedback as always. Yes, the priest in Tulla appears to have made a mistake for the birth of "Michael" in 1847: no mother's first name listed: "Michael Foley" father and "Foley" mother, with no location. There was a "Michael Foley" in Tulla so perhaps he got confused. There is no Foley married to a Foley, so this "Michael" must be the missing son of "Patrick McNamara" and "Kate Foley" born in March 1847. The timing also makes sense as Michael and Kate were married in February 1846. I edited my prior posting. Thanks for searching the baptism register and making this discovery.

Whether or not Martin McNamara (3.0) is a sibling is now less certain. "Martin" was certainly a common name for the children of the other possible siblings in the family chart. Plus, both Martin and Patrick married a Foley which is somewhat of a connection. This reminds me that I still need to provide evidence that Margaret Halpin (wife of Michael McNamara) and Anne Halpin (2nd wife of Matthew McNamara) were indeed sisters - an annoying loose thread in our search.

Well it certainly appears that the Feakle baptism records are less complete than the Tulla records. On 16 December 1924, James McNamara (6.6.1) of Maghera, Caher, Feakle went to New York on the SS Aurania: father reported as Thomas McNamara (6.6), and he was to visit his "Uncle Jack McNamara" of "1705 2nd Avenue, NYC". This is the same address used in the 1915 obituary for Patrick McNamara (6.3). But where is "Uncle Jack" in the NY state census reports? McNamara is a very common name in NYC, we don't know his birth year or even certain if "Jack" is "John" (my choice) or another name. This would be a difficult search, but since we know the exact address at 1705 2nd Avenue we can search using the website, "Obtaining AD/ED for the 1890-1925 New York State Census in One Step" by stevemorse.org: https://stevemorse.org/nyc/nyc.php Just type in the address and it will take you to the assembly/election district of the census reports where you simply find the address (in about 20 pages or so) on the left side of the page.

James "Jack" McNamara (born 1869 consistently on census reports) and his wife Catherine (born 1868) were able to maintain the same apartment at 1705 2nd Avenue all the way until at least 1930:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... print=true

But where is James reported in the Feakle baptism records? Out of seven children of James McNamara and Anne Rodgers we are missing 2 out of 7, only about 70% accurate!?

The Tulla register is looking excellent in comparison! Although where is the Tulla baptism record for the Elizabeth McNamara who married John Hornbeck of Wawarsing? "Elizabeth" was the last family member to see the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara on furlough in Wawarsing. Is this simply a case of a missing Tulla baptism record? Or can we come up with a good explanation why an Irish immigrant woman living in 1850's New York might want to change her name to "Elizabeth"?

With Irish parents having children over a two decade period, it is interesting to me how there is a possible scenario where the missing Thomas McNamara born say around 1830 could fight in the American Civil War and he might have a first cousin (the youngest child of his youngest uncle or aunt) born in Ireland in the late 1870's who would move to New York and live in a completely different era.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi Jim

The James McNamara who went to New York in 1924 was a nephew of Uncle Jack - so he is a grandson of James McNamara and Anne Rogers - not their son. The civil records show that he was born to Thomas McNamara and Maria Hayes in 1900. But yes, James McNamara and Anne Rogers had a son called James whose baptism was not recorded, but whose birth was registered in Tulla in 08.03.1867. I suspect that another son called Jack (John) was born before registration began - I failed to find John's birth. As you say, his baptism is not recorded. Luckily his nephew, James b. 1900, mentions Uncle Jack in the ships manifest – otherwise his existence, before he emigrated, would go unmarked. How many more are there like him? You are right in thinking that the Feakle baptisms are not complete. If only you would accept that the Tulla baptisms are not complete either! I do not believe there is a set of baptisms in the whole of Ireland that’s complete - at least not one that goes back to 1819.

About “Michael Foley” baptised in 1847 – I’m glad that you have looked at the original and agree with me that he might be Michael McNamara (who gives his age as 48 in 1901). It is only a Might of course, but, even so, it slightly raises the chances that the Kate in House 5 in 1901, aged 79, is Kate Foley, rather than Kate Couny or Kate Coree/Corry. We need to keep a question mark after that "Foley" though, unless we get a US, or Australian record that confirms our suspicion.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Jim

Familysearch.org shows the death of Thomas Mcnamara on 10 Jun. 1928 in District of Columbia; birth (in Ireland): 22 Mar. 1864; residence: 618 3rd; Parents: Patrick Mcnamara, Kate Foley. This may be Thomas who was born to Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley in 1861.
There’s also the death of a Kate Mcnamara on 30 Aug. 1925 in District of Columbia; birth (in Ireland): 7 Sept. 1860; residence: 2316 Chester; Parents: Patrick Mcnamara, Catherine Foley. Can this be the Kate who was born to Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley in 1853?

But even if these prove to be the children of Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley of Glendree, we are still depending on that rather doubtful baptism entry for Michael Foley in 1847 in order to decide that Kate is the Kate who is aged 79 in 1901. I say "rather doubtful" because a Michael Foley and a Margaret McMahon were having children between 1843 and 1855 and are bound to have named one of them Michael.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Sheila,

My apologies as I think I may have confused you regarding the "Jack" McNamara. I incorrectly made the assumption that "Jack" stood for "John" as this was the nickname for my own grandfather. It's the more common usage, but for this McNamara family who had three James McNamara's, "Jack" appears to have been used to distinguish the middle "James", son of James, and uncle of James. This is why I couldn't find him in the NY Census reports initially as I searched for John. It was only searching by the specific NY address that I found "James McNamara". I had updated the above Glandree McNamara family tree to make this clear - please check it out. You won't find a John McNamara in the Feakle baptism register because he doesn't exist.

The Kate McNamara and Thomas McNamara of Washington D.C. are very interesting, thank you very much for finding these clues. Of course it just leads to more questions! But on the positive side, might resolve several of the McNamara's in the 1901 census that we never understood how they were related.

Washington D.C., despite being the nation's capital, is more like a small town and this is reflected in the detailed (gossipy) articles reported in their newspapers. When Kate McNamara died in 1925, she left an estate valued at more than $10,000 in probate papers filed by Ralph McKee, the husband of her niece.
PASTOR IS LEFT $200
Will of Mrs. Kate McNamara is Filed for Probate
By the will of Mrs. Kate McNamara, dated June 9 and filed for probate today, the pastor of St. Theresa's Catholic Church is left $200. Winifred McKee, a grandniece, is left the testatrix's jewelry, household effects and personal belongings, and, together with a grand nephew, Ralph Anthony McKee, an equal share in any money that is realized from the sale of Mrs. McNamara's real estate.

Other bequests were: To Martin McNamara, a brother, $400; to Mary Bennett a niece $400; to Julia C. McKee, a niece, all moneys on deposit in banks and building associations in the name of the testatrix; and to John F. Shanahan $400 in Liberty bonds. Ralph McKee is named executor.
The Evening Star (Washington D.C), 15 September 1925
Kate's sister Winifred Connors (born 1851) arrived in America in 1875 according to the 1900 federal census for Washington D.C. where "Willifred" (age 38, a widow) is living with her two children "John F. Connors" (age 21) and "Julia C. Connors" (age 17) and her brother Martin McNamara (age 35, married but wife not in household). "Julia C. O'Connor" married Mr. Ralph McKee in August 1903 at St. Dominic's Catholic Church in Washington D.C. Their two children are named in Kate McNamara's will. Mrs. Winifred O'Connor died on 21 September 1923.

Thomas McNamara is not named in the will, but he is most certainly a brother of Kate, Winifred, and Martin. I didn't look too much into the story of Thomas and Martin, as their sister Kate McNamara was the most interesting. I recall watching a PBS documentary on the American immigrant experience (don't remember the name), and it highlighted how Irish immigrant women to America could earn their own wage and lead a very independent life, which was far different than if they had stayed in rural Ireland. This was certainly the case for Kate McNamara of Washington D.C.

Kate McNamara and Winny McNamara (born in Ireland) are reported in 1877 as chambermaids, born in Ireland, working for the "Government Hospital for the Insane" per a Department of the Interior Report. In 1877 they earned $12 per month with free board. The "Government Hospital for the Insane" was the only federal government psychiatric hospital which would become known as "St Elizabeths Hospital". History and nice photos of the hospital here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elizabeths_Hospital

Winifred would marry a Mr. O'Connor after only a few years working (prior to 1880), but Kate McNamara was still living at St Elizabeths Insane Asylum in 1920 and her position was now "Chief Seamstress". At first I thought how awful to work at an insane asylum for so many years, but this was a federal government job most likely at a decent wage, she received room & board, and worked with many relatives from County Clare (I'm not sure yet how many). In June 1900, Kate's niece Mary McNamara (born 1882) from Feakle arrived in New York on the Cymric, her father (not named) paid $15, and she was going to her Aunt in Washington D.C. Mary would also work at St Elizabeths Insane Asylum. Another advantage to a federal government job appears to be a good amount of annual vacation:
The Misses Kate McNamara, Mary McNamara, and Julia Neill, all of the Government Hospital for the Insane, are spending vacations in Morgantown, Md. (Washington Times, 10 Sept 1905)

Colonial Beach, Virginia. Many Washingtonians took advantage last week of the trips of the excursion boat to the Beach, Sunday being the last of the season. The fishing at this time is exceptionally good and many large trout are being caught. The following Washingtonians registered the past week at the different hotels: King George House: ... Miss Julia E. Neill, Miss Mary McNamara, Miss Kate McNamara,... (Evening Star, 17 September 1905)

Miss Kate McNamara and Miss Mary McNamara have gone to Atlantic City for a few weeks. (Evening Star, 13 September 1908)

Mr. and Mrs. Ralph McKee, of the Metropolitan Hotel [Winifred McNamara's daughter and son-in-law], and Miss Mary McNamara, of the Government Hospital, have gone to Atlantic City for several weeks. (Washington Times, 20 July 1912)
And then there were the nurses parties:
The medical staff and employees of St. Elizabeth Hospital and their town friends were guests at a dainty little euchre given by the nurses on the institution last evening at the Nurses' Home. The foyer and reception halls of the home were tastefully decorated by the committee in charge, consisting of Miss Rosa Walsh, Miss Mary McNamara, Miss Clara Day, and Mrs. Margaret Bond [another Clare cousin]. The play lasted until a late hour, when, after the distribution of the prizes to the lucky winners, refreshments were served by the white-capped nurses. (Evening Star, 14 January 1910)
But the most interesting with regards to the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree were the trips back to Ireland to visit relatives in County Clare:
Miss Mary McNamara has sailed for Ireland. She will visit her father in the County Clare and will be away until the early part of September. (Evening Star, 5 June 1907)

Miss Mary McNamara has returned home after a visit to relatives in Ireland. She was a visitor at the Dublin exposition. (Evening Star, 6 October 1907)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Int ... Exhibition
Returning to New York on the 3 October 1907 on the SS Carmania were two sets of cousins: Kate Corbett (domestic) and Anna J. Sheehan (nurse) both of Ennis on their way to New Haven, Connecticut (contact was their cousin/sister Margaret Sheehan).

And also Mary McNamara and Delia McNamara:

Mary McNamara (age 24) was a Nurse returning to Washington D.C., originally from Tulla, and Irish contact was "Patrick McNamara, Glendree, Tulla". No relationship given but from the Evening Star newspaper article, we know that she was visiting her father. A good option for Mary McNamara is that she was returning to visit the Patrick McNamara (age 53, widow) of Uggoon Upper, House 3. This Patrick was married to Bridget Connors and they had about 10 children. Unfortunately, Mary McNamara would have been born after the 1881 Tulla baptism register and left for America in 1900 prior to the 1901 Irish Census. On the Tulla emigration listing by Tom McDowell several of this Patrick's children would go to Washington D.C. Most revealing was the 1909 passenger listing for a John McNamara (age 25, born 1884), father Patrick McNamara of Uggoon Tulla, going to sister Mary McNamara of 1031 3rd St. NE, Washington D.C. This John McNamara (age 16) might be the servant living in the Martin McNamara (age 42) household in Glendree, House 36.

Delia McNamara (age 23) was a Nurse returning to Pittsburgh PA, originally from Feakle, and Irish contact was "Patrick McNamara, Derryfadda, Feakle". Since Mary and Delia are first cousins (and unlikely to both have a father named Patrick), perhaps Delia was visiting a brother named Patrick in Feakle? I have no idea who this could be?

It is scribbled on the register that the two Irish Nurses were cousins. And it appears prior to their final destinations, they would both visit their Aunt Mrs. K. O'Donnell of 307 W. 47th St. NY. I made no attempt to track down their Aunt O'Donnell in New York City or consider who she could be in the McNamara family tree. Best to figure out who Mary and Delia were visiting in Ireland first.

Kate McNamara would take at least two trips back to Ireland. One in 1903 with a Mrs. Margaret Bond who also worked at the Government Insane Hospital. We'll find out later that Margaret's maiden name is McNamara and she is another County Clare relative. But first the Kate's 1910 trip back to Ireland:

Kate McNamara (age 53) would leave Queenstown for New York on the SS Cedric arriving on 10 October 1910. She was visiting "Brother Patrick, Feakle County Clare". She was returning to Washington D.C. and her USA contact was "Mrs O'Connor, 307 15th St, Washington D.C." - this was her sister Winifred. Was her brother truly living in Feakle? For another McNamara cousin, the usage was "Glendree, Feakle, Clare". If Kate's niece Mary McNamara was indeed visiting her father Patrick McNamara in Uggoon (and I'm not sure of this), does that mean that this Patrick McNamara of Uggoon Upper is Kate's brother? The Patrick McNamara of Uggoon was age 53 in 1901, and age 72 in 1911. Going by these dates he could be born anywhere between 1839 and 1848. Kate's father Pat McNamara had two sons named Patrick in 1831 and 1833 who would be too old to be the Pat McNamara of Uggoon. Could Patrick McNamara and Anne Cooney had a son named Pat in the missing baptism pages either May through July 1841 or else January through March 1843? His last daughter with Anne Cooney was Anne born in June 1844.

Mary McNamara of St Elizabeths Hospital would take one more trip to Atlantic City in July 1913, this time for her honeymoon:
The marriage of Miss Mary A. McNamara and Richard T. Bennett was solemnized yesterday morning at 10 o'clock in St. Theresa's Church, the Rev. M.P. Egan, assistant pastor, officiating. The wedding was a quiet one, there being present only a small number of relatives and intimate friends of the couple. The bride was attended by Miss Sarah McNamara, her cousin, and Dr. Patrick Madigan was groomsman. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett left immediately following the ceremony for Atlantic City. They will live in southwest Washington. Both are well known people who have been connected with the Government Hospital for a number of years. (Washington Times, 1 July 1913)
Of course, this does beg the question who is the cousin Miss Sarah McNamara? In the 1901 Census for Glendree, House 3, James McNamara (age 65) and Margaret Bowles (age 50) are living with five of their children, including Sarah (age 14) and Emily (age 9). Not included in the census, are their older children: John (1871), Henry (1876), and Margaret (1879). Three daughters of James McNamara would move to Washington D.C: Margaret would arrive first (not sure when, prior to 1901?), Sarah in 1906, then Emily in 1911. Sarah (age 19) would arrive on the SS Haverford at Philadelphia on 15 October 1906; her contact Mrs Margaret Bond, Washington D.C. Next, Emily McNamara (age 19), of Feakle, would arrived in Philadelphia on the SS Friesland on 22 May 1911; to her sister Margaret Bond at St Elizabeth Hospital, Washington D.C.; father "James at Glendree, Feakle, Co. Clare." In the 1920 census the three sisters are living together and appear to have had a bit of fun with the census taker with their ages: Margaret M. Bond, widow (age 30, should be 40), Sarah A. McNamara (age 25, should be 35), Emily M. Turner, widow (age 23, should be 29). Margaret and Sarah were nurses, and Emily a stenographer not at the hospital.

If Sarah McNamara and Mary McNamara are cousins, does this mean that James and Patrick were brothers? And does this also make Kate McNamara of Washington D.C. a sister to James and Patrick? Or is there a different explanation?

At least six McNamara women, from three Glandree families, would work at St Elizabeths Hospital in Washington D.C.